ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car wont pass emissions........... it only failed on nox.2.90 when im allowed 2.50..... any ideas??

i allready tried pulling the FPR vac line...... that was a mistake....... i failed misserably..... 3.60 on nox and 35.15 on carbon.........
heres my idea......... i was thinking i would run a lower octane fuel, and retard my timming a bit......... i figure this will maybe raise my carbon a bit, but i passed that with flying colors on that.... i only got a 8.05 when im allowed 15.00....on carbon.

i heard of puttin alcohol in the fuel...... but im not sure if this will help with nox at all........ nox is created when its running too hot(lean) right? And alcohol will make it burn hotter....... right? please correct me if im wrong in any way.

any information is welcome...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't retard the timing.

Discount auto part stores sell a gas additive that is "guaranteed" to make your car pass emissions.

I think a high nox reading means your catalytic converter is worn. They do wear out you know.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'd check the EGR because if I'm not mistaken that ( reducing nox) is what it's primarily for. If that's good then retard the timing and consider a colder thermostat. Seafoam might not be a bad idea either if you have a lot of carbon.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input............. a friend of mine works at a shop with a 5-gas, so im going to try a few things this week....... hopefully i can get it to pass by friday.............

·
Registered
362 Posts
EGR is a good bet. Also vac lines. Rev the engine up with your finger on the plunger of the EGR and if it moves i the solenoid is good. Put a vac pump on the EGR and if the engine starts to run like s*** or kills the engine the valve itself is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.