ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chattanooga, and I hear the new emissions testing TN started about 6 months ago is pretty weak. They just check for your check engine light to make sure it's not on. They check under your car to see if you have a catalytic converter, and then they check the pressure in your fuel tank. I heard they don't even pop the hood or hook anything up to the exhaust pipe. However I haven't gone yet, so I can't verify. I'm curious, when I start building my turbo motor, I want to leave all the crap off of it that I don't need that gets in the way and makes it a pain to get to the spark plugs. Does anyone in this area know if that will have any negative repercussions? I don't want to build this motor, and then have to add crap back onto it a few months down the road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I dont live in Tn...FL...here.. when I had mine up I took the exhaust system off...and gutted the cat...guys thought I was nuts..but I put the empty can back on.

So it looks like the cat is on the car, cause they do at times take a mirror and check under,,just to be nasty... they see a cat...if it dont work they dont know unless they do a test, and Hey things wear out...How am I suppose to know whats in side that thing.....

that will at least take of the cat sys situation if you run into it.
hope this helps some
bob

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine isn't on...I just heard those are all they check. What kinda stuff can I remove when I start building the motor? I don't plan on running a/c (doesn't work anyway) and I don't know if I want power steering or not, I might keep it though just to make it a little easier to drive like if I'm going to work or the mall or something.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I live in TN and have heard nothing about emissions testing starting any time soon.

Personally, I think it's a necessary evil that should be started.

However, I think the law should state that any NEW cars registered, which are the current year and further into the future must pass emissions tests. In other words, if the law is passed today, but won't be enacted till 2007, all cars that are made in 2006 or prior should be exempt from the testing.

This means that poor people that can only afford a 10-20 yr old car will not be forced off the road and onto welfare because they can't drive and keep a stable job. Those that can afford a new car will be forewarned of the need and expense of regular testing. This is a fair and practical way to do this.

And while I'm thinking of it, I'm going to email Phil Bredeson about this...

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the infamous Engloid that made the plenums?

I'm in Chattanooga, and you can't get your tags renewed or tags for a car you purchase until it passes the test. I should just move to North GA and be free of all emissions testing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Matt, I live in Maryville and just re-registered my 84zx and didn't need anything but money and the reg. Could it be a county program?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dammit I don't know...people in Chattanooga Hamilton County do. Maybe I should ask someone at the emissions site why that is. It's not fair if only Chattanooga has to do it and no one else in TN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.