ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I slowly reassemble my '71, the carbs are coming up and I'm wondering whether some of the emissions equipment should be kept or ditched.

Since I've always had trouble getting photos to appear on this site, I made a little page for my website and here's the link: Emissions

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Just leave it there. Those two parts are to prevent the throttles from slamming shut on deceleration and causing a large manifold vac which sucks in a raw fuel mix. What they do is sllllooooooowwwww down the throttle closing. Also helps to prevent backfires. (That and the anti backfire valve on the air pump circuit.) Think of those two items as the slow closing slides on the drawers of some kitchen cabinets. Or a shock absorber for your carb throttles. You might call them emissions controls but they perform a good function. And having lived in Colorado Springs with mine.....DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR PUMP AND NOZZLE SYSTEM. If you do you will play **** trying to get past emission testing. I had done that before I moved there and I still to this day wish I had never touched them. I really fought an annual battle to get passed. And I personally think removing those causes a higher level of ‘fumes’. HMMMM maybe thats my summer project, putting the air pump back on!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
whats the benefit of removing something the engineers designed into the car
My opinion exactly. The older the vehicle gets, the more you want it to be original - and it's only original once. And if you have problems, the closer to stock you are, the easier it is to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the benefit of removing something the engineers designed into the car.
The engineers added the components to reduce emissions, but not to increase horsepower. The engineers also added the flat-top carbs later on and I think everyone knows how they affected performance.

And having lived in Colorado Springs with mine.....DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR PUMP AND NOZZLE SYSTEM. If you do you will play **** trying to get past emission testing.
This car didn't come with the air pump or exhaust manifold with the nozzles. My previous Z, a '72, didn't have those parts, either. It passed emissions testing back in '95 but I'll admit only with the carbs leaned out as far as possible, and that was while living in Aurora - I'm in Arvada now.

Don't worry, guys, I didn't come to argue or scoff, merely to look for more opinions and I thank all of you for sharing yours. It's food for thought.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Georgia resident here. I am slowly removing the emissions stuff from my 1980. No emissions checks on cars older than 25 years. I'm going to keep all the stuff in a box in case I sell it later, and the next owner wants to return everything to stock.

See how the car runs without those parts, and decide what to do from there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
you wont gain any power by removing stuff like the smog pump and egr stuff. theres no reason to remove this stuff unless you suspect a vacuum leak. smoke test the car with a handpump if thats your concern

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don't throw away stuff like that. The best way to keep a car in tune is to keep it original, and then you know what you're dealing with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts