ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my notice that I need to bring my 72 240Z in for emissions testing.

It is pretty stock with the exception of a header and 2.5" exhaust, Ramflo air filters, and no smog pump. Not sure if any other pollution control devices are missing. The engine has just over 100,000 miles on it and it runs pretty strong. Carbs were just rebuilt and I had my mechanic lean them out for the emissions test. Recently replaced all ignition components.

Does anyone know what are my chances of passing the emissions test? Is it even worth going to without the smog pump installed?

Thanks in advance for any help,
James.

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
I passed 73 sniffer requirements for CALIFORNIA with a 71 emissions' system complete (Smog pump and all).
My buddy passed 74 Arizona Dynochecked emissions with the same system without the pump. You should be O.K., but run them on a 4-gas meter to be sure.
My 73 was running less that half the HC, and 1/10th the CO (or vice-versa). Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Depends whether or not they do an underhood check, but for what it's worth I've passed emissions for the past several years without any of the emissions equipment still connected.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, thanks for the words of encouragement (and experience!)

I'm heading in tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. sharp (after taking my z out for a quick blast on the highway) and I'll post my results as soon as I get into work.

thanks again,
James.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Youll pass no problem

James, i live near chicago as you know and i passed emmisons just last spring. You wont have a problem, the locking gas cap confuses the **** out of them to, hehe. My car was running like crap and i passed no problem

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Careful not to have your timing too advanced. This will cause 'em to fail. Ask me how I know!!

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.