ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is my strategy. As some of you may or may not have read in my earlier post, I failed emissions here in Chicago. As a first step, I thought I'd upgrade my stock ignition to the Allision XR-700 electronic ignition to clean up any unburnt fuel that may be passing through, then take it in and see how that goes. If I still fail, and I'd hate to do this but...I found an exhuast shop that will cut in a catalytic converter with 2.5" ends to match my 2.5" exhaust system.

Whaddya'all think?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I think spending that money on the ignition isn't gonna do much. Retarding your timing will do alot, try about 3 or 4 degrees. Run an octane booster with the highest octane gas you can get. If your engine hasn't been rebuilt and has a few miles on it, you may have some carbon buildup which doesn't help. Use a top-end cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil or just a quart of ATF in a full gas tank. Run through a tank or two, then put in the octane booster in with good gas and try again. This has helped quite a few people that I know.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Retarding the timing passed me. Go with the factory spec and then re-tune after. I did it in the parking lot before I left the inspection station. Passed with less than 200 PPM, was failing at almost 300. Hot coil did nothing for me, numbers were the same.

Ken

·
Registered
482 Posts
Temporary solution to a more permanent problem.

Putting a CAT on your car is only a temporary fix. The reason your car is failing is because something else is not right. Remember, your car passed all the previous years, but isn't passing now. What's been done or has worn out in that time? That is the real quesion here. Besides, in CA, you can't swap on a CAT, because it's not OE equipment!

I would venture to say, that your engine is burning some oil, or has buildup, both of which can contribute to high levels of non-passable gases. I suggest trying a new set of plugs,rotor,cap, retard the timing slightly, and run a few tanks of engine cleaner through the car prior to the test. Then, change the oil, add some octane booster and put some quality high test gasoline in the tank. If you don't pass after all that, you have a definite problem, as something is really not working right. Do you still have the smog pump hooked up? These are notorious for becoming clogged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.