ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am troubleshooting my 81 280zx motor, which runs well overall, but I am currently checking the EGR system. The EGR valve is fine, and I want to know if my TVVs (2 of them for 81 - one next to distributor and other next to EGR) are in good working order. Now, when the engine is cold, idle (750 rpm) and revving is good, but there is some sluggishness under load (I assume this is a transmission problem) - the EGR valve is always closed (as it should be). Also, the TVV connected to the EGR has an air bleed which is working - if I cover it, the engine will stall. But, as the engine starts to warm up, idle drops to ~ 500 rpm, and the motor seems a little sluggish to rev. When warm, the idle is back up to 750 (I set it w/ engine warm), and the engine appears to operate normally. Now, at idle the TVV at the EGR (closed) is still bleeding air at vacuum (to close the EGR), but upon revving the EGR valve does operate (still closed at idle). I believe this is the way it is supposed to work, but is the air bleed supposed to be inoperative _only_ when warm and revving? Why does the idle speed drop while warming up? Is my second TVV faulty?

Also, how can I check my other TVV without removing it?

When responding, recall that the EGR system changed rapidly during the years ~75 - 83 at least, so my 81 will be similar only to other non-CA 81's and somewhat similar to non-CA 80's (but using different TVV's). I don't have a BPT valve (not supposed to), and I have type C and type D TVVs.

Thanks a lot.

Darryl
81 280zx GL 2+2 manual - currently stock !

btw, nice to see you back, Doug!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.