ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having problems with my ignition system. I am NOT getting a strong spark -if any spark at all. I do get a good electric jolt at the spark plug wire as I turn the key off.
I also notice that when I put the ignition key in the ON position and I press the EMERGENCY SWITCH button I get a sequentcial spark at the plug and the car is not turning over.
I need to know why I'm getting this sprak? And I am not really sure what the purpose of the EMERGENCY SWITCH IS FOR?
Help please!!
ps My 260 Z is still in the rebuilding mode. I have not yet put on the carbs, radiator etc. Before I do all that I what to make sure my electric/ignition system is working properly.

· Registered
395 Posts
Re: EMERGENCY SWITCH/ELECTRIC

Is the emergency switch you are refering to the RED button under the hood on the right side of the engine compartment? If it is then that is a bypass for your ignition interlock system - part of the seatbelt inhibit circuit.

RLS30

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, that is the switch that I am referring to. I don't understand the switches's purpose - it may be the source of my problem, I don't know - can you or anyone else help me?

· Registered
395 Posts

If everything is installed and connected, your '74 has a starter interlock system that prevents your car from starting when the front seats are occupied and the seatbelts are NOT fastened.

Should this system have a component failure, the emergency switch - red button - allows you to bypass the system and start your car. You still need the key in the on position.

Most people remove or disconnect the sensors from under the seats to disable the feature.

Hope this helps, RLS30

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.