ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is still in the shop, but hay I get it back tomorrow (11 days with out my z). It went in because my timing belt broke and when he got it in the air I went a little crazy replacing and upgrading parts. Ill post exactly what I had done tomorrow when I have the recite in front of me. But when he was replacing stuff he said my emergency brake cable that goes to my 2 back wheels are pretty old and worn and ill need new ones, but he said there like $40 a piece (apparently it goes from 1 long cable to a ring/joint and then 2 smaller cables attach to it and then to the wheels) and will take 4 days to arrive. So my question is… Is it a smart idea to pay 40 on new ones or is there a site I can get them from cheaper and just have him install them? Thanks for the help and listening.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just had to mess with my rear e-brake cables so I am pretty comfortable with what parts are back there. I'm not sure exactly what you are describing here but there isn't anything back there on the e-brake cable that should be $40 that needs to be replaced.

Both rear cables new are like $130 each and unless they are broke you shouldn't have to worry about them. If they are sticking you can fix it. If that's the case then re post and Ill tell you how I did it.

The only thing other than the front and 2 rear cables, (other than at the calipers) is an adjustment bracket which is a rectangle shaped deal that allows for slack and tension adjustment on the rear cables and connects them together, The other item is a U shaped metal piece that "connects" the rear cables to the front cable going up to your cabin. I suppose this is the part he is describing to you, but it really shouldn't be worn out.

Neither of them should need replacement or repair unless they were seriously damaged from running over something or the like. You would have other damage in the rear end if that was the case.

Personally I would tell the guy to define exactly what he is replacing here.
$40 is a lot for this little part. And unless the e-brake cables are bad I would run with them. Its not like they will create a stopping problem unless you drive like a nut with one hand on the e-brake.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it is the rear cable from the U to the driver side wheel. The passenger wheel is fine and hooked up. He said the other cable broke from rust and wear. So where can I get a new cable?

·
Registered
430 Posts
"Both rear cables new are like $130 each and unless they are broke you shouldn't have to worry about them. If they are sticking you can fix it."

So how'd you unstick those cables????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.