ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 didn't start this morning (it bearly started yesterday too) so I brought the battery to my local Auto Zone and they charged it and said it was fine so I put it back in the car and it started right up but when I disconeted the negative post of the battery it stalled so I took out the alternater and bought a new one and it seems to run fine except when I give it gas the volt meter goes through the roof. I try messing with the voltage regultar. but so far I'm stumped.
I any one has any ideas I would realy be greatful.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> My 71 didn't start this morning
> (it bearly started yesterday too) so I
> brought the battery to my local Auto Zone
> and they charged it and said it was fine so
> I put it back in the car and it started
> right up but when I disconeted the negative
> post of the battery it stalled so I took out
> the alternater and bought a new one and it
> seems to run fine except when I give it gas
> the volt meter goes through the roof. I try
> messing with the voltage regultar. but so
> far I'm stumped.
> I any one has any ideas I would realy be
> greatful.

> Thanks

> Bill

Bill,

My name is Augustin, I have a 77 280Z. The difference, I believe, between the 71 and 77 charging system is that the 71 has a 40-50 amp alternator and the 77 has a 50-60 amp alternator. But, this is the thing, both the ratings are peak numbers. They don't mean anything. In reality, the 77 is no where close to even 50 amps. If you want to retain stock charging, change the regulator with a STOCK regulator. The NISSAN units are a lot better than anything else. The aftermarket pieces are crappy. The regulators are more often the problem than alternator. If you want to convert the charging system, you can do so with the 79-83 ZX alternator. That is what I did, it is different on the 71, but with a little electrical know-how , it's EASY!! On the 77, I have a 6 pin connector which goes to the regulator, from the regulator, it goes to the alternator and from ignition and battery. To convert, it will take 15 minutes. The ZX alternator has 4 terminals you need to use. The B terminal is to go to the battery to CHARGE. There is a E terminal to GROUND. There is also a connection which looks like a T . This T is very important.The top of the T is the voltage sensing terminal, this CAN NOT be connected to the B terminal for regulation purposes.It needs to be connected directly to the battery. The up-and-down terminal is for the ignition. It will excite the alternator to charge. This terminal is hooked up to ignition, if you have a CHARGE light, hook it up in series. I'm not sure exactly how the 71 system works, but that is the basic info you NEED to make it work. You can get most of what you need off the plug from the car to the regulator. Unplug the regulator and use a good test light or digital VOM and check the connector for power, connection, and switching. I'll be checking back with you in a little while Bill. Hope this info helps. I hope this helps many others with their Zs. As a little note, I am an MECP certified installer. Before I did the conversion, I couldn't idle and charge with my 125 watt headlights. Basically, just with the lights, it was about a 20 amp load. Now after , I can run my headlights, A/C , and a 4 amp system going to a JL 15W6, KEF Q100, and RF Punch 4 mids. This equipment equals over 70amps, plus the consumption of the car's own electrical load. Preety good for $80 and 15 minutes.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I agree

>Its your voltage regulator. Mine did the same thing, only my reg and alternator were only 9 months old with less than 1000 miles on them.

Definitely take Augustin's advice and get a new regulator from the dealer.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I agree

>Its your voltage regulator. Mine did the same thing, only my reg and alternator were only 9 months old with less than 1000 miles on them. (both the alternator and regulator failed)

Definitely take Augustin's advice and get a new regulator from the dealer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I agree

Thanks dudes
I messed with the regulator a little and it seemed to help. But, I think I'm still going to get a new one
Thanks
Bill

Definitely take Augustin's advice and get a
> new regulator from the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.