ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I am going to have to have my engine rebuilt or replaced pretty soon, and I was just wondering If I put in a 82-83 280zxt engine in my 79 280zx how much more complicated the electronics were. Is it very hard to install the boost gauges, etc.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You'll want to use and aftermarket boost gauge because the factory unit is more decoration than function.
To answer your question, the best advice seems to be to obtain a factory wiring harness for the engine, ecu, etc. Since you have a zx, the lights and dash would probably be best left alone so I' think the only thing you'd have to change (as far as wiring) is the engine control harness.
Dan

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, you'll just need the EFI harness from the turbo with its relays. You can then look in the back of the Haynes and mix and match your main car's harness with the new EFI. There will be a few splices and new runs to make like one for ignition, one between the EFI relay and coil, and one from the other side of coil to the control unit. Its been a while since I all looked at it, but it is doable once you get the wires traced and see what they each do. The boost gauge was easy, I used the very last hole on the manifold (closest to driver) for the new gauge. Just use the light switch to tap for 12V so you gauge will light up when you turn lights on and then find a good ground screw to attach the ground lead.
-zakaron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.