Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm having some troubles with my electricals in my 76 260z, the voltmeter is always low, it is staying around 12.5 with no electrics on, when i press the brakes it goes to 12, and when i put more things on it goes lower....

I bought a new battery, and i've had my alternator checked and it is perfect.... the car starts but it hasn't got as much power as it would at full voltage... i believe the full voltage should be around 15 or a bit lower....

I have a feeling it could be the regualtor, could this be the problem... i'm not very good with car electrics, but my dad is an electrician and he can't find the problem yet... but i think it is the regualtor

any suggestions???

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm thinking you are right in that it is your regulator. The 260Z here in the states has an external regulator. Does the Australian 260Z also have an external regulator? That would make sense if you had your alternator checked out and verified good. Some automotive shops here, like SEARS, will check out your charging system on the car for free (with the hope they can sell you a battery).

If you have the mechanical type external regulator it can be adjusted. The service manual gives a procedure on how to do this. The output should be closer to 14 volts.

Goodluck,

RxS30

·
Registered
103 Posts
The voltmeter you speak of....is it one that the car is equipped with? You have checked the battery with a good multi-meter and verified this voltage reading, have you not? If the alternator has been checked and is "perfect" then it is putting out the proper voltage. Is not the voltage regulator on your car a part of the alternator itself? Perhaps your new battery is faulty. Anyway, you must use a good meter to verify your suspicions about the voltage, first.

·
Registered
664 Posts
strange but true..

Same problem on my 76. Ended up cleaning all the fuse box clips
with some sandpaper and then pinched the clips with needle nose
pliers to get a tighter fit with the fuses. Also replaced all
fuses.This actually fixed a bunch of weird elec probs as well.
whatever
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.