ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 280zx. Just recently while driving and slowly coming to a stop the fuel, brake and door light in the instrument cluster light up. Then when I take off around 2000 rpms they shut off. It just started doing it and happens 'just about' every time. On a side note, when I try to start it the box in the interior on the passenger foot area clicks rapidly (ecu, fuse box??) Also it is tricky starting the car. It will turn over but won't fire up unless I slowly turn the key. Any ideas on these problems????? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm not sure of the answer but something to check if you dont get help soon is to pull your passenger side kick panel and look for a little box??? I had some alternator trouble lkast year and something in my kick panel went out because when I goto shut my car off I have to stop the key just before the OFF position to get the car to stop running (If I go past this point the car will keep running and the key will come out (nope , new lock so it's not the infamous Z key thereory :~) ) and I can hear it clicking on the passenger side.....

I can't even tell you what it is called but look in your manuals to see if you can find it or just get up under the dash and see if you find one then goto the parts store and just toss it to the guy and tell em " I need one o dese please!!! "

sORRY NOT MUCH HELP BUT I HOPE IT'S A START TILL FURTHER ASSISTANCE.... (ooops did not see son hit the caps lock....sorry not yelling...)

Good luck
Z ya later
Mike K

·
Registered
428 Posts
Recently my sons 79 sheared the rubber bond between the front and rear pullys on the harmonic balancer. At first all we had was a noise that we could not figure out and thinking it was a bad set of alternator bearings I switched it with a unit I had in my boxes of Z parts. Turned out that alternator was bad and it showed the same problems that your car is showing. All the gauge lights were on. Once we put his unit back in the problem stopped and we soon discovered the balancer was bad and fixed that also. Hope this helps ya............

Charles

·
Registered
571 Posts
It seems whenever your cluster lights go nutty a week or 2 later ya need to change the alternator. Like reading tea leaves.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Mike.

When you changed the lock portion did you also change the switch portion that has the wires coming out the left side of the steering column.?

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
92 Posts
What's up ITR? My name is Sy. It appears that you may have a alternator problem. After 10 years of owning Z cars, every time all the hazzard lights came on it was 99.99 % of the time the alternator. Check it and also check the connections to the alternator. There is a plug that pulls out of the alternator that may be coming lose. Also, check to see if there is water on it or around the wires.
With your starting problems, replace the ignition unit.
hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys.........but the alternator is new.... yeah I thought the starting problem would be the ign. switch. what about the rapid clicking I'm hearing just when i try starting it that comes from the passenger side

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Even if the alternator is new....

You might want to check the following post:

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=228418&t=228418

As for the Ignition Switch, if the electrical contacts are badly worn inside the switch you can get this result.

The contact inside the switch is shaped sort of like a kidney bean.

When you put the key in "Acc" only the "Acc" terminal makes contact.

When you put the key in "Run" BOTH the "Acc" and "Ign" terminals make contact.

When you put the key in "Start" ONLY the "Start" and "Ign" terminals make contact.

I.E. The radio is on the "Acc" circuit when you go to "Start" the radio shuts off ( well it does from the factory )

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ITR,
Have an 83 280ZX. Just had the same lights come on with mine. Had a post on the alternator that was bad. Had another in the garage and changed it out yesterday and solved the problem. Could still be the alternator even tho' it's new, but I'm certainly not a mechanic.(no problem getting it loose, getting it out was a mess!) Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Lt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i'm pretty sure its the alternator now,,, my volt gauge is slowly dropping...I guess i know what i'm doing for thanksgiving now..............thanks for all the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.