ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79' 280ZX hesitates to rev passed about 4k rpm! sometimes it varies depending on outside temperature though.
It acts like it has a rev limiter at about 4k! It has new spark plugs <gapped to spec> and wires. Could it be cap and rotor? ANY ideas would be appreciated. -Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
check your fuel filter???

I had a similar prob with my 72. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter, inhibiting fuel flow under high demand.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my last z was a 79, and i had the same problem, fixed it with a new mass air flow sensor. big $ but it cured it after months of trial and error parts replacing.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: electrical problem???</b>

If your car is an automatic, you might want to check the transmission fluid level.
Make sure it is not over filled, if it is, empty some of it out by disconnecting the passenger side cooler line at the radiator.
I just got my 82zxt running and found the tranny over filled. Bought it two years ago, last tag was in 1995.
I could write a book on all the stuff I had to fix, actually all little stuff. But those are the ones that stump people. Anyway, I had the same problem hard(couldn't) time going past 4K rpm. If my car was not turbo, I doubt I would have found the problem so quickly.
With the car parked, I was watching my boost gauge while reving engine and noticed it boosting. In case you don't know, turbo is only supposed to boost under load. So it was somehow partially engaging the transmission in park because it was over filled.
Anyway after empting some fluid, it runs fine now.
Good luck
Tom H.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.