ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an aftermarket amp and speakers in the back on my '75 280Z and get alot of electrical interference with engine running. Using a protable radio I narrowed it down to the ignition coil. Anyone got any suggetions for getting rid of this. Thanks Sam '75 280z

·
Registered
804 Posts
First off. Make sure that the input wires to the amp are no where near the power wires to the amp. second. make sure you have a good clean ground to the amp. Third. make sure the speaker wires are nowhere near the power wire aswell. I had the same problem with a Fosgate amp and it turned out to be the input RCA wires I had ran were to close to the pwer wires. But, a clean ground is very imprtant aswell. Hope this helps. Z ya

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I installed an aftermarket amp and speakers
> in the back on my '75 280Z and get alot of
> electrical interference with engine running.
> Using a protable radio I narrowed it down to
> the ignition coil. Anyone got any suggetions
> for getting rid of this. Thanks Sam '75 280z

Where are you getting the power for the amp from? I'd recommend running a seperate power wire to the battery itself. Also are you running preamps off your radio? preamps work best. Another thing to consider is the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. If it's not car speaker wire you can introduce noise that way as well. Hope that helps

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Where are you getting the power for the amp
> from? I'd recommend running a seperate power
> wire to the battery itself. Also are you
> running preamps off your radio? preamps work
> best. Another thing to consider is the
> speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.
> If it's not car speaker wire you can
> introduce noise that way as well. Hope that
> helps

Both the power wires are run straight to the battery (8 gauge). I have an inline noise filter on the power wires. I have 16 guauge car speaker wire. Don't have preamps but it makes the noise even if you unplug the inputs to the amp. I'm going to try running the speaker wires somewhere else away from the power wires. Right now they all use the same path. When using a walkman you can hold it about 2 feet from the ignition coil and get the same interference that is in the amp. I'm also going to try a different ignition coil one out of an 82 280zx n/t. Thanks for the help.

Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
38 Posts
> I installed an aftermarket amp and speakers
> in the back on my '75 280Z and get alot of
> electrical interference with engine running.
> Using a protable radio I narrowed it down to
> the ignition coil. Anyone got any suggetions
> for getting rid of this. Thanks Sam '75 280z
try this link to the rec.audio.car FAQ. This is a common problem with a few different fixes

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> try this link to the rec.audio.car FAQ. This
> is a common problem with a few different
> fixes

Fixed the problem ended up being a bad ground wire to the stereo. It got rid of about half the noise. I put a filter on the inputs to the amp to get rid of the rest. I'm going to do a full inspection of the grounding system in the car something has to be wrong somewhere.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.