ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to get an electrical connector tool? I need a tool that will remove the wires and contacts from the factory wiring connectors. There has to be something out there that does this. If there isnt, does anyone know of something that works?

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found something that works!

Hey, i figured out something that works to remove the round factory wire plugs from the factory wiring harnesses! I used an aligator clip without the insulation and bent it out so that it fits snugly into the harness, it pushes in the metal tabs that holds the wire to the harness, then you just wiggle the wire and pull it out. I had to make 2 because the first one did an airborne attack on me when i was trying it out and is hiding somewhere in my garage now...

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Here is another tip

A small jewelers screwdriver will help pry off the clips. Here is a a modification you can make to the clip.

The stock clip is shaped like this:

______
| |
| |
|_ _ |

Bend the end of the clip so it looks like this:

______
| |
| |
| |
/ \

With the end bent, it is easy to remove the clip.
(got the tip from the Ztherapy FI tune up video)

· Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: Here is another tip

I'd have to go take a look at the connectors in my car, but I think I know exactly the tool you need. I used to work at a place where we had to make our own connections, there was a tool everyone had and used called a "molex pin pusher" it fits inside the female plastic hole and around the male molex pin you then push and a little spring loaded thing pushes the pin out of the plastic connector. It's a real simple and cheap tool, you should be able to pick one up at any good electronic tool place (not radio shack) some place like Jensons.

But then again sounds like you made yourself a great cheap and easy tool.

Josh

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Re: I found something that works!

Same idea with the flat bladed type connectors except just push a properly sized jewlers screwdriver into the small slot area at end of the connector and pry the tab back. Need to pry it back into position before reinstall or it's not likely to stay in place. I like your idea for the round connections, also need to find one of those 'molex' jobs. BTW found individual crimp on pins at Pep Boys that are virtually identical to flat pins in Z connectors. Just a tad tight to install but look virtually factory. I had to overhaul one of the 6 pin connections down under the heater control (that had leaked) that was so corroded 1/2 the pins were gone. I don't have the pin # handy but I remember it was a Ford replacement. May have something similar for round pins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.