ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Autoforums there was a guy that said he made a electric water pump for his 280zxt.If anyone here has made one let me know how good it worked.I was thinking of trying this on my car.I was woundering if this would last that long or pump enough water.I guess it would depend on the motor.I am also putting a electric fan on my car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Elec fan - good....water pump - ???

> At the Autoforums there was a guy that said
> he made a electric water pump for his
> 280zxt.If anyone here has made one let me
> know how good it worked.I was thinking of
> trying this on my car.I was woundering if
> this would last that long or pump enough
> water.I guess it would depend on the motor.I
> am also putting a electric fan on my car.

Electric fans are a good way to free up some horsepower.

In my experience though, electric water pumps are only used on drag cars. I would not use one for anything else. There may be success stories w/ elec. water pumps other than drag, but you still have to produce the horsepower w/ the alternator to do the same work & of course each step produces added inefficiencies and subsequent losses...eventually more HP to do the same work in the first place.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> At the Autoforums there was a guy that said
> he made a electric water pump for his
> 280zxt.If anyone here has made one let me
> know how good it worked.I was thinking of
> trying this on my car.I was woundering if
> this would last that long or pump enough
> water.I guess it would depend on the motor.I
> am also putting a electric fan on my car.

I'm not speaking from experience but I'd have to agree with Tom.

An electric fan is a good idea, as the fan is only required when you are stuck are in traffic. Once you get up to speed the movement of the car provides enough airflow over the radiator and the fan will switch off. A water pump, however, is required to run all the time, so you don't get any savings from driving it electrically.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
there is a savings

Having an electric pump does give you 15-20 extra horse in the upper rpm range. Why would it not. Yes it is powered by electricity and is no longer being driven off of your crank, which frees up some hp that would normally be used to spin the water pump. Someone said that if would place an increased load on the alternator that would negate the gains. Yes it places more of a load on the alternator, drawing more amps for the pump motor, but the power required to drive the alternator does not change whether it has to drive an extra water pump or not. It is not like your a/c compressor which has a clutch that engages to give you colder air. The alternator spins at the same resistance no matter what the power demands being placed on the alternator.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
there is a savings

Having an electric pump does give you 15-20 extra horse in the upper rpm range. Why would it not. Yes it is powered by electricity and is no longer being driven off of your crank, which frees up some hp that would normally be used to spin the water pump. Someone said that if would place an increased load on the alternator that would negate the gains. Yes it places more of a load on the alternator, drawing more amps for the pump motor, but the power required to drive the alternator does not change whether it has to drive an extra water pump or not. It is not like your a/c compressor which has a clutch that engages to give you colder air. The alternator spins at the same resistance no matter what the power demands being placed on the alternator. Most of those pumps can be run and only draw 5 amps or less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The electric water pump has another benefit other than hp and that is it can continue to run after the car is turn off. This will continuing to cool the car with circulating water and air from the electric fan.

I do however agree there is a greater risk of falure. You can visually see and inspect the fan belt but a sudden rise in temp may be your only warning your electric pump stopped working.

I'm still planning on purchasing one. but in this order:
1. Aluminium radatior
2. Electric Fan
3. Electric water pump

Step 3 maybe along way off. Step 1 is tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.