ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this website and tell me what you think of this product. I know nothing about it so I'd like all of your opinions

<A HREF=http://www.electricsupercharger.com/www-electricsupercharger-com/autoframe.htm>ELECTRIC SUPRCHARGER LINK</A>

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>LAME!!!!</b>

No doubt is probably produces 4-6%, but what is that? Maybe 5 HP?
It says it produces a whopping 1psi of boost. Well holy ****, let me sit down for that!! Even weak assed stock superchargers run around 7-9psi.
Expect 30-50% HP increase with a real blower, so this is in my opinion not worth the money.
By the way, WHY THE **** DID they put it on a TURBO MR2? Doesn't that already have forced induction.
Something is not quite right here!!
I don't buy it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!! I Need To Buy 6.....

to install in my modified intake with six throttle bodys to get a cumulative 6psi boost...not really a supercharger, they pump air at all throttle postitions, not just WOT. Wouldn't be to useful to me unless I run at WOT all the time...kill gas milage to :)...but then I have to get my 76 running first before spending $$ on an electric supercharger. Somebody posted a while ago a question about using elect fans in place of turbos.....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think so, but for you turbo guys...

There is a company in Carpinteria Ca, I think they are called Electrodyne, but I cant remember. They make electric motors for turbo chargers that eliminate turbo lag. Read about it in turbo magazine a couple years ago. Mostly back then they made them for turbo-diesel semi trucks, but were developing them for sports cars. It spooled them up when there was no exhaust gas and worked totally automatic.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
RE: Vacuum Cleaner Cahrger

Knew a buy who ran a "boosted" '49 Cadillac coupe back in the 60's who had an inverter running a vacuum cleaner motor that pressurized his intake. Just a centrifugal blower that moved all the air the motor could take at a constant pressure of about 4 psi. Flicked it on and off with a dash switch.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This might sound stupid/crazy, but....

Instead of using battery power to run a fan that makes a hopeless 1psi, why not use power to compress air into liquid form(aka tame nitrous)? Honestly, I doubt that a 5% hp gain(whenever at WOT) is really that noticeable, but if your car is filling a canister with liquid air for half an hour and then you use it all in the space of about 5-10 seconds I'm sure the effect would be memorable and feel like $1500(rough guess, fuel system and computer would probably need upgrading) well spent. Is there anything flawed with this idea? Here in Australia there is, because nitrous is illegal on street cars, but I get the idea from posts here and sites on the web that it's legal in the US.

Project#2501

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fans in your intake and related issues

I would think that any benefit this stupid device would give is offset by the fact that you now have a non-functioning fan sitting in your intake path when you're not at WOT. This would reduce airflow, decrease fuel milage, and just be generally dumb. If this was worth the effort (it's not worth $300) to do, you could attach it when you ran the 1/4 mile, then take it off.
The liquid air idea doesn't really fly. Air is a very loose term. What do you want in it? Water vapor? Carbon Dioxide? Pollution? Nope. Oxygen obviously. Nitrogen to help cool the charge and prevent detonation. If you take out what you don't want you'll pretty much end up with nitrous oxide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.