ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make my own wig-wag(used on police cars to alternate left and right high beams) and i know i can do it with 1-a turn signal or hazard flasher, and 2-a relay for each high beam. now i can picture wiring diagram in my head, but need to know what model flasher to get and what the terminals on each the flasher and relays go to. anyone got any diagrams? (i am a volunteer firefighter, so this is'nt illegal on my car) i know on some cars, the flasher alternates the front and side signals when the flasher is on, just not which cars.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm also thinking a DPDT relay to be outputted from the high and low voltage pulse from the flasher.
The DPDT would tick back and forth making the left to right motion.
This can be done also from scratch with a couple parts from radio shack.
I’ll make something up from scratch.
I would also like to congratulate you on this under our nose idea.
As for a schematic, maybe next week. I am soooooo overworked.
But trust me I will put it on paper for everyone.
E-mail me and make sure I’m not goofing around next week.
You could take one of those goofy little back and forth LED flasher thingies and use 2 micro relays or transistors to drive 2 higher amperage relay.
Maybe someone can beat me to the jump.

Nice idea
I kinda will feel guilty stealing it.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, Fl

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I have done this before and you will be better off to buy a specific unit for this.
Granted you can make one for around $5.00 and the real unit is around $25 or $30.
My homemade unit frequently overheated and began to flash irregularly. If you need help finding a real unit email me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I vote with 280Z

I used to install light bars and cop radios, we used a flasher made to do just that. It even came with a wiring diagram. It'll save you alot a head scratching and wire splicing to use it.

Chrome

·
Registered
12 Posts
It may not be illegal to have them on your car but be careful of the local laws (I don't know where you live). I was a volunteer with the Sheriff's office. It wasn't illegal to have them on my vehicle either. BUT if highway patrol pulls you over for something and they ask you if they work - you can say yes - but if they ask you to turn them on you better not. That would be a ticketable offense (using them in a non-emergency). Just a little trivia...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Laws are typically written towards intent. If you are intending to impersonate something you are not, then you are opening yourself to trouble. The strobe lights fall into this rule as well. Don't give them anymore reasons to pull you over.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just to let you know, i live in south mississippi, and if you have'nt heard, traffic laws are barely enforced(other than high profile ones like speeding, etc.) improper equipment laws are rarely enforced. so no worry there. also, it's not the head scratching and splicing i'm trying to save, it's the $$$ and the principle that i can make one with my own hands, so why not do it?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
74VWBUG, thats the same reason I did it, just to prove I could, but like I said once it was done and working it would overheat. If you still insist on making this yourself, drop me an email and I will send you a schematic of how I did it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If something is overheating just heat sink it or repair the value that is causing it to overheat. I have made little simple pulsing, flip devices for RF mischief that would click for months non-stop. I’m not really in the mind-set to make one of these anytime soon, but I will out it on my list.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.