ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280Z
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new fuel pump for my stock '78 280Z L28. I try to keep all of my vehicles and toys OEM equipped but $278 is more than I really want to spend right now if I have an acceptable alternative.
My questions are:
(1) Are any of the aftermarket pumps costing around $100 that I see online or NAPA or such stores good quality units with equivalent flow rate and pressure?
(2) Any brands or sources recommended? Anyone make custom aftermarkets pumps targeted toward performance Z upgrades that I should consider?
(3) I know this pump was used from '75 - '83. Is there another year model that will work with mild mounting modifications?
(4) Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these pump? Is there a rebuild kit available and what does it consist of?
(5) What actually fails on these pumps and what am I looking for if I get it open?
The shaft spins freely. The pin that acts as a shaft key for the pump vain/gear is not damaged. The fuel filter cartridge in the fuel inlet tube is not clogged. The rubber O-ring type seals are in good condition. I have gotten the cap off but it appears that more is required to disassemble. The housing is crimped at 5 equidistant locations around the perimeter over the pump internals. There is also a pin/rivet that passes through the housing that I presume will need to be ground off and replaced if it located any internal parts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2.jpg
3.jpg

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Im running an MSD 2225 fuel pump. Loud when Its 95 out side otherwise I cant hear but a hum.

·
Registered
1978 280Z
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check it out BIFICUS. I don't think noise will be an issue. I've been running a Motorsports 3-2 header and Twice Pipes exhaust system for years so I probably wouldn't hear the pump if I was laying directly beneath it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
You should be able to find somthing in a boneyard from a lot of 80’s German makes with Bosch f/i. I found one from a Audi Fox MANY years ago and put it on my Datsun 810 of the time. Mount was a bit fiddle but it worked fine as I remember.
Also did you check at Autozone or one of the others?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts