ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what the best setup is for electric fans i was thinking 2 11 inch fluidine but my buddie says on 15 inch

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I couldnt think of the url before but I remember now. This is by far the best fan manufacturer: <http://www.daviescraig.com>

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used to own an 85 Nissan Maxima with the V6 3000 engine and it had electric fans (2 fans). I wonder if these fans would come close to fitting the radiator. It wouldnt hurt to measure your Z's radiator and head down to a junkyard to see if it would fit. Good luck :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
two 12" fans work fine. a single will not keep it cool enough. I had a single 16" fan and it would over heat, couldnt reach the sides and corners of the radiator.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I think mine has dual 12" fans, and that's stock so they fit... I'd have to measure to make certain but I'm quite sure they're 12".

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
well the radiator is 24" wide, so two twelves will fit no question. I am going to put two 12" on the back of the radiator and one on the front of the condensor once I get the Maxima Alt.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have a single 16" fan and have absolutely no cooling problems. It only covers about 2/3 of the radiator.

Ideally, you want to setup two fans with a thermostat control so you can adjust for seasons and unusually hot weather.

My fan hardly ever even cuts on, but then again that is also largely dependent on driving style and conditions.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
With my 2 stock electric thermostat fans one side is on all the time, and the second side kicks in when it's warm. Plus 2 fans fit nicer than one huge one... Not exactly sure why Nissan decided to have 2 electric fans for the Jap/Aus models and not the U.S model but I'd say it was done for good reason.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
On the AU NA, neither fan should run all the time unless you run the aircon all the time.
Without the aircon engaged, the RH fan runs at about 2/3rd speed when the 100°C switch in the LH side of the intake manifold closes.
Both fans run at full speed when the 100°C switch in the bottom left of the radiator closes.
When the fan/s are on, the ECU gets a load signal which prompts the ECU to bump up the idle speed via the idle-up solenoid (or via the FICD if the aircon is on).
The staged operation minimises the electrical load and bumping the idle helps with that as well. However, most people converting to twin factory e-fans might be daunted at the prospect of wiring 3 relays and two temp switches and maybe a diode.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yeah I do run my AC all the time, but thanks for clearing that up regardless as I wasn't 100% sure in the operation temp. of the fans.

Does anyone know if there is any considerable advantage in having electric fans vs not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.