ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you replace the stock belt driven fan with a large single or dual fan to reduce the fan noise from the engine compartment? I know they are good supplements but how about replacements?

Craig76Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Can you replace the stock belt driven fan
> with a large single or dual fan to reduce
> the fan noise from the engine compartment? I
> know they are good supplements but how about
> replacements?

> Craig76Z

I doubt you will find a quiet electric fan, even small stock ones in a honda civic or my fathers mazda 626 is pretty loud. At least they don't come on all that much and save gas/power but quiet they aint. If you don't like noise that much get some insulation material and run it across the firewall and the interior.

·
Registered
205 Posts
> Can you replace the stock belt driven fan
> with a large single or dual fan to reduce
> the fan noise from the engine compartment? I
> know they are good supplements but how about
> replacements?

> Craig76Z
craig,
i've had only an electric fan in my 71 for 6 years now and can say it is a definite improvement. first, you loose the constant whine of your fan clutch, and save almost 10lbs in getting rid of the clutch and fan. my fan only comes on when idling in traffic when the temp is above 75 or 80. then it is a little noisy, but not much different than stock. also, you will have your water pump last at least twice as long if not virtually forever because there is no stress on the shaft from the fan. also, most of the fans include a toggle switch you can put inside the car to turn the fan on constantly.--comes in handy for autocrossing, etc.
andy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What type?

>What type of fan is it? Single or dual? Does it pull the air thru the radiator?
Would an engine oil cooler help the fan any?
Thanks for the advice.

Craig76Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: What type?

> Would an engine oil cooler help the fan any?
> Thanks for the advice.

> Craig76Z

did you try zhome.com they have invo on the istall of an elec. fan.
JN

·
Registered
205 Posts

> Thanks for the advice.

> Craig76Z
craig,
its a puller (mounted on the engine side of the radiator). i think i got it from motorsport auto. its a single fan that mounts with nylon speed ties that pass through the radiator and are capped on the other side. wiring and all took me no more than two hours. that includes adjusting the thermostat so it would kick on at the temperature i wanted.
andy

·
Registered
205 Posts

> Thanks for the advice.

> Craig76Z
craig,
its a puller (mounted on the engine side of the radiator). i think i got it from motorsport auto. its a single fan that mounts with nylon speed ties that pass through the radiator and are capped on the other side. wiring and all took me no more than two hours. that includes adjusting the thermostat so it would kick on at the temperature i wanted. as for the oil cooler, i had one on a 76 i owned and eventually took it off because it was a pain. the car used 8-9 quarts of oil with it on and you had to drain it when changing the oil. for street and occasional race type use, i don't think it's worth it.
andy
andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.