ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing an electric fan and removing the stock supposedly adds power. I have an electric fan to install and my mechanic thinks it's not a good idea. He thinks the stock fan will keep the motor cooler and that if there is an electrical problem like a blown fuse, the electric fan may not work which may cause overheating. Does anyone have any information or advise for this? Thanks.

· Registered
90 Posts
I got tired of replacing the fan clutch and installed a Mr. Gasket 14” Electric Fan with Painless Wiring and thermostat Kit on a 73 240z and it works like a charm, not only releases HP, also quiets the motor.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
It's a great way to go,much quieter and it's the thermostat
that controls the temp of the motor. Install an overdrive switch
like Shaver and it will be fine.
I think they are more reliable because of fan clutch
failures. You may gain a few HP too.
Cheers DavidU (aust)

· Registered
1,098 Posts
my 240 used to stay above the halfway mark on the temp guage and i didnt like that.. with the elec fan i can adjust it to exactly where i want it.. and an override switch for traffic.. just dont forget about it when the cars running and you got your hand in there!

· Registered
326 Posts
Hmmm. I have the stock setup on my '72, good friend runs electric on his breathed-on '78 280Z. He would affirm all the good things posted thus far, but I have one question... His car is nearly stripped, no accessories (radio, etc.) Mine, OTOH, has two power amps, CD changer, A/C, Maserati air horns, and Hella 500 driving lights. No problems with the alternator yet, either (over a year with this setup). I wonder if in a car as well equipped (some would say crammed with gizmos) as my '72, this wouldn;t be the straw which broke the camel's back. Suggestions?

Rob

· Registered
1,411 Posts
there is a formula that you can use to figure out what each accessorie is pulling amp wise. it is

W=VI

W is the watt of the item in question (i.e. 150 watt amp)
V is the volts on the system and
I is the amps that the item draws

so I=W / V

in most cases you should know what the watts of your items.

by the way what is the ampage on a stock first generation z alternator?

· Registered
5,837 Posts
Strictly Z has a high output alternator on there website that would solve all your problems. I think the 78 and newer Zs have a slightly higher output alternator than the older models, so that is a possability also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.