ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about replacing my egr,but i see that theres block off plates for the egr? so my question is can i put those on my z even though its not a turbo? saves me money

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Are you confusing exhaust gas recirculation, which is pulling some hot exhaust gas off the manifolds to recirculate a portion of the pollutant ridden hot exhaust through the intake manifold to reburn during and shortly after cold engine startup (only), with putting all of the exhaust gas through the driven side of the turbo to spin it before it passes on out the exhaust system?

Turbos and non-turbos come from the factory with EGR.

How so it saves you money?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Agreed that dumbestone's concept of EGR is wrong. EGR is used to reduce NOx production by reducing cylinder temps and is ONLY on when the engine is WARM. EGR is disabled when the engine is cold.

As for the block off plates; yes they are available for the NA. The basic EGR system is the same for both the TT and the NA. The block-off kits are the same for both NA and TT.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Perhaps someone could be so kind as to explain how recirculating exhaust gas lowers cylinder temperatures? Does it make combustion less energetic?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
My bad on the EGR functioning after start up. Somehow I've always had a mental block associating this with the old-time bimetal coil operated flapper to put exhaust gas back under the carburetor for quicker warmup/better warmup combustion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.