ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my EGR put back on my 87 and for the life of me, I cannot find where the solenoid valve vacuum line ends up.... it has a small rubber line that goes into one of the three metal tubes that go back around behind the engine and emerge next the throttle body. don't know where the rubber line goes from this point, so I guess technically the solenoid is getting no vacuum if the line is not connected to anything. the picture below shows the hose as PTN 22310B.

I have found a few good diagrams of the main vacuum lines and some vids on youtube, but nothing that shows this one little EGR line. any help?

Thanks,

Bon

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that 22310B going (from metal tube) to a 90 fitting in the manifold, upper right?

I don't know, DS. I can't be sure... but its just looking for engine vacuum, right? so I could probably run it anywhere that is avail, if avail. now, for reference I looked under the hood of my other Z (84 AE) since it has its EGR connected, and of course there was no vacuum line attached to the end of the metal tube going around the engine. :| so much for a reference. a dead end again.

I know this: EGR valve attached to the intake, EGR pipe going into the exhaust manifold, one vacuum line going from the EGR valve over to the solenoid valve, and a second hose going from the bottom of that to ????

Bon

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
If it's made it to the solenoid valve then all it needs is a source of manifold vacuum. No reason to have regulated vacuum for it.
The metal lines are probably to reduce the amount of long spaghetti tubing flopping around in the engine compartment from a (the) solenoid. You could use the free end of the metal tube and tap into a vacuum line that comes off near the manifold with a plastic tee.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's made it to the solenoid valve then all it needs is a source of manifold vacuum. No reason to have regulated vacuum for it.
The metal lines are probably to reduce the amount of long spaghetti tubing flopping around in the engine compartment from a (the) solenoid. You could use the free end of the metal tube and tap into a vacuum line that comes off near the manifold with a plastic tee.

that's a good idea. I will try that for sure.

one thing though, if the solenoid valve needs vacuum, but doesn't has have its vacuum to operate, then technically the EGR valve itself would not operate right, correct? the reason I'm asking is because I am putting the EGR back on the car because it failed local emissions and I'm hoping that will help keep the CO2 content down and get this to be passed. want to make sure its working properly, lol. that and also putting the cat converter back on, since that could be the culprit too.

thanks for your input.

Bon

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a great reference. there's a lot of stuff in that one section. thanks!
i'm going to check the vacuum line again and see where it goes either into the TB or right around it on the intake.
again, thanks for your input.

Bon

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I live in Texas, and they don't test my car for emissions.

lucky you. I live in the UAE and they are not as strict as in some states, but they do test emissions. and if your engine blows smoke or doesn't pass the tail pipe exhaust test, they will fail it with flying colors. older cars being registered as classics are exempt for most of the inspection. bad chassis? no problem. rust and body damage? no problem. too much crap coming out the exhaust? fail!

you wouldn't be able to shed some light on where exactly this EGR solenoid vacuum line runs to, would ya?

Bon

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I thought you live in NC. Because that's what your profile says.

Image attached, hope that helps.

hehe, no worries. I do live in NC but I have been working and residing in the middle east for several years.
thanks for the attachment. I will check that on both of my Z's.

cheers,

Bon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts