ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the engine is out and i was thinking it would make things easier in the future if repairs are needed

i have heard pros and cons and i was reading on tt.net that if its not hooked up properly it could do more damage than good

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I say remove it if the motor is out. But that's just me... I removed mine while the motor was out, just for the sake of: 1 less source of a problem down the road, and also it cleans up the area and makes pulling/installing the plenum much easier. I bought the 300degree EGR bypass kit, with the block off plates and plug, and I've had no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Excellent EGR article

Click the link >>>
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=technical&msg_id=967920 for an excellent article by Ash regarding EGR, removal, etc.

and an excerpt to address passing emissions:

" am sure that many of the vets out there already know this and have seen this problem before, but this is intended for the rest of you guys out there. I know it is a big fad to get in the engine bay and replace all the vacuum lines with fancy colored silicon counterparts and I also know how shotty the work of other mechanics can be, so do yourself a favor and spend a half-hour of your time going out to the car and checking that this system is working as it should.

As for those that currently have their engines out of the car, or are planning to replace/rebuild/build-up an engine, consider completely removing this item. Eventually the EGR valve itself gets all gummed up or carbonated to a point where it will leak to some degree no-matter-what, so if you have the opportunity to ditch it, ditch it and pat yourself on the back.

There have been numerous vehicles that I am fully aware of that live in California that are using my ECU programing, JWT programming, etc, and do not have EGR in their cars. Guess what - they have all passed emissions without it. Unless you get a really nit-picky inspector that goes digging around in the back of your engine looking for the EGR valve itself, you aren't going to fail an emissions test due to the lack of this component. You also aren't going to blow your engine up without it - you are far more likely to blow the engine BECAUSE of the EGR being in there and leaking."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.