ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECu question

308 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cville300zx 
#1 ·
ive seen a lot of stuff discussed about ECU on the NA but never anything really in-depth. everything is always for the TT. i want to know what are the honest to god benefits of putting an ECU in your NA with the usual other bolt-ons like pop charger, catback/testpipe, underdrive pulley, 1piece, and maybe flywheel. what are the honest to god benefits of it? has anyone had some of or similar mods that got an upgraded ecu whether it be ashspec or JWT that could honestly say they felt a noticable difference? how about gas milage? did it hurt this quite a lot... i figure since they change timing and fuel maps it has to right? i'm curious as to see where this goes and what feedback i get...

#2 ·
This is my guess. (maybe some one knows otherwise or can confirm this)

On the NA the most you can do is lean out the fuel mixture a little bit (in general cars tend to run rich to prevent knock) and advance the timing a little. I don't think these will effect gas millage much at all and they may make it better (because the care creates power more efficiently).

The ECU can compensate for the change in volumetric efficiency (because it's a closed loop system) caused by exhaust and intake so there is no NEED to change it if thats all you have.

I really don't think its worth it. You probably do benefit but probably not enough to notice.

Again, I may be way off but this is my view of things.

#3 ·
Actually, an ECU chip like the ashpec chip or the JWT chip would help gas mileage if you drove the car like normal (which means not putting your foot in it). I deal with this same question everyday at work (not Z related but a 4 stroke motor is a 4 stroke motor). The best ways to get more power out of N/A application other then forced induction are as follows. Cold air intake, exhaust and a chip. Now, can you feel it? Well, some people say you can feel a intake I say thats crap. Now, im sure of the exact power outputs of the ECU chip for N/As but you should be able to feel it and it will compliment your intake and exhaust nicely if you already have those. Now, my other peice of advice is if you ever plan on running nitrous (which I dont think you do) I wouldnt buy the ECU chip because of how it advances the timing that + nitrous = boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.