Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i have a 2 owner 240z ser no hs30-00060. can anyone give me some info on the early cars? I am curious as i have had many notes under my wipers asking to sell it!!!

it carries very little rust for its age not bad really, any idea as to the best place to grab some replace pieces? eg rear tail piece below hatch, in the sill between the doors & the rear wheel arch etc etc

also what would this be worth assuming good condition?

also any parts any one may have please pass on to me!

any info warmly recepted!!!

ps anyone droped a godzilla donk into a 240 before?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
"anyone droped a godzilla donk into a 240 before"

what the heck is that? if you're talking about taking the engine out of #60 for something else then you must be stopped!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the reason they want you to sell it is so they can restore it, throw it in there garage and never drive it.

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
Zilla Donk...

For the Englishily Challenged amongst us, M8, the Zilla Donk is a bonzer swap, done many a time in Japland.
Sheilas will groove on you with megapower, and you can outrun the Humongous, no worries!

I'd park that beastie in the shade of a quiet billabong, and think of the good times meself... Cutting into such an early chassis may not be the thing to do---get a later 260 chassis to sacrifice they've better fuel pipes to handle the fuel flow for an EFI setup for the Godzilla Donk.

FYI, there was a post here yesterday about a total rear panel for a 240Z going for $1000US... Likely just the thing for such a low VIN, but the upper and lower sections are available from Motorsport Auto here in the USA for much cheaper, especially critical if you needn't replace upper and lower sections.

The rocker panels under the doors are similarly available, same vendor. Tabco and Mill Supply in the USA are suppliers to the Vendor as far as I know. MJP out of the U.K. also supplies these parts, but at a historiclayy high markup---given your proximity to the West Coast of the USA, ordering directly form MSA may be a better bet.

An early car, in good nick mechanically and bodywise, unrestored can go for quite a bit even here in the US---over $10K. You can do the conversion. If there is bodywork to be done, the professionals will be the ones to consult, as with that low VIN---it truly becomes an investment and you don't want the value lowered by a shagg in some bodyworks slapping plastic filler willy nilly and calling it correct!

For the uninitiated, and Nissan Historically Ignorant amongst us:

Godzilla: The name given to the Skyline GTR after domination of the Southern Cross Ralleye Series several years runing in the early 90's. Just before they were banned. Seems the way they came in and dominated the series was much likened to Godzillas Romps through downtown Tokyo on the old Toho Movie Serial Series featuring the prehistoric creature of the same moniker.

Donk: Engine, or other "vital part of the male anatomy" referred to metaphorically when referring to the Motor Vehicle.

Geez, where'd you guys go to school? Texas or Alabama? Can't you speak English?

Good Luck with the Zed, Mate!

Post Edited (Jan 1, 10:11am)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi Mike:
As far as we can tell, HS30 0004 was the first Datsun 240-Z imported to Australia. We believe it was produced in Jan or Feb of 1970, arrived at the Port in Australia around May of 1970 and was held by one of the Datsun Dealers for several months, until the next shipment of cars arrived.

Send me the original engine number from the data plate, located under the hood, screwed to the shock tower. That will have both the original engine serial number and the VIN...

With the original engine serial number - we can usually get to within a month or two of the most likely production date.

Here in the States.. the patch panels from Mill Supply are pretty commonly used, and I believe that Motorsports Auto and/or British Vic carry their panels as well. I do not know if Mill Supply will ship overseas.

See: Mill Supply, Inc.
http://www.millsupply.com

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ms&p=sm

If we assume "good condition", looking at recent prices at least in Australia...with that VIN.. $6K to $8K USD wouldn't be out of the question. Australia only received something around 319 240-Z's for 1970.

Restored with very high quality and to pure stock, with all the original and correct parts etc... $20K USD wouldn't be out of the question today and perhaps far more in the years ahead.

e-mail me the original engine serial number and I'll see what else I can find..
Carl Beck [email protected]

G

·
Hello Mike, I have faced many of the challenges you are dealing with. Just my opinion but I would consider getting another (later) 240Z for modifying, especially if there is any non-reversable work to be done to the car.

You could consider what I've done as an option though. For me it has been a 3 plus year ordeal. My early 240Z is VIN #584 as my name suggests and with that comes the added pressure to do keep it pure stock and with good reason. There just are not that many around. Zhome.com has some very specific information on the earliest of 240's thanks to fine people like Carl Beck and others who share it with the rest of us enthusiasts. If you go down the road of restoring a very early 1970 240Z be prepared for the difficulty of locating "real" NOS OEM parts. They can be found on eBay and similar but they are always very expensive and will challange a budget quickly. I was fortunate enough to locate almost everything I needed new even the rarest of NOS parts like: console control face plate, very rare choke and throttle control knobs and cables - the real ones, heater face plate, real NOS door and all the window seals. Then there's gold cadmium plating of parts and it goes on and on if you want that sort of perfection.

What I am doing is a full restoration as in every part removed cleaned and painted its orignal color and finish but with one little difference. I have taken the original drivetrain and engine of the car out and placed it off to the side and installed the drivetrain of my 1978 280Z along with a Dave Rebello 3.1 liter NA motor in it (N42 Block and Head). Everything will look pure stock (except the engine and head casting numbers) but with 100 more horses under the hood. In the mean time I will restore all the original items removed from the car while I'm able to drive. When and if I ever sell the car I can offer a pure stock early 240Z as everything else in the car down to the last detail is original. The buyer will have a choice of a modified engine option or if they want it pure original they can swap over the original drivetrain/engine with the correct/original numbers. I wanted a car more for driving than to take to shows but I also did not want to do anything that would take away from the orginal car design as well.

If you decide to keep your #60 and need help locating NOS OEM parts please feel free to contact me I'd be more than happy to help. Also I have many orginal reference materials such as an orginal 1969 "Dealer" parts manual with every part and part number from your car including schematic drawings etc that I can share with you.

Goodluck.

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
Yes...

That has been suggested in the past. As long as you properly store and preserve the OEM pieces, the value of the vehicle is not diminished in the least bit when you do mechanical "improvements" like an R200 differential, five speed, 3.1 stroker with tripple webers (lol).
We have club members with their entire 73 drivetrain in the rafters of their garage (including the flat top carburettors!) if it ever comes time to sell the vehicle, it can always be returned to "matching numbers" status.

This is a good route to consider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.