ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the shop cause of valve problems. They tell me that I have one of the sought after e88 with combustion chambers liked the e88. They want 250 for a completely rebuilt e31(ported, polished, and exhaust widened and inch or something to that effect) and they want my e88. They explained to me that on the street someone would not notice the difference in the heads but on the track where a motor is tuned very precisly they would know the difference cause they race spec class cars here in the southeast. Are they trying to sucker me or what? They want 1000 to rebuild the head on my e88 they say all of the valves seats are worn out and thats how much the machine shop wants to fix it. Am I being thrown a screwball or what? Please help me here Im leaning towards the e31 cause of the money factor. If not it will cost me 1700 dollars just for a head rebuilt of i go their way it will cost me about 900. Laterzz Mark

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Smells like a rat!

I'd shop around some other engine machine shops. Ask the forum if anyone recommends a shop in your area.

It is true that many early heads had soft brass or bronze valve seats. Upgrading at least the exhaust seats is highly recommended. $1000 sounds a bit steep.

Also, E31 considered by many 'most desirable' head due to low cc volume and resulting high compression. $250 for a rebuilt head sounds right w/o the port/polish business which is very expensive to have done properly. Sounds like something's wrong w/ that head and they're trying to unload it.

Some racing categories require stock head and limit amount of modifications. These guys have very particular needs. Maybe that's what's behind this action.

My $.02.

Good luck!
Al

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Smells like a rat!

Seems like I remember seeing on Rebello Racing web site that they charge $800 for a complete rebuild of a head and these guys have been into Datuns for years. There web site is not working so I can't check what they were doing for $800, but I'm sure its more then these guys were going to do. The early E88 head is sought after by a lot of people to put on an L28 block for the street. I know, I had someone locally who wants my E88 if I use the E31 I picked up for my 240Z. The reason they may be looking to give you "The Deal" on the E31 is that E31s are known to have weak coolant passages that can crack or maybe its been shaved to the point that the compression ratio is outrageous. Keep your E88 head and look for another shop!

From your post I take it that your in the SouthEast. What part? Plenty of people on this board as well as Z clubs through out the South who could help direct you to a shop that is reputable and not looking to pawn off a questionable head.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Smells like a rat!-not?

I believe that they might be telling you the truth, the e-88 head that was monufactured after the e-31 has the same combustion chamber as a e-31 with the acception that it is re-enforced so that it does not crack between the valves. the e-31 head is known to crack between the intake and exuast valve. They might want you head for those reasons, the e-31 bay be a better deal, but from a long term standpoint a poor choice. how long are you going to keep the car?VA240Z wrote:
>
> Seems like I remember seeing on Rebello Racing web site that
> they charge $800 for a complete rebuild of a head and these
> guys have been into Datuns for years. There web site is not
> working so I can't check what they were doing for $800, but
> I'm sure its more then these guys were going to do. The
> early E88 head is sought after by a lot of people to put on
> an L28 block for the street. I know, I had someone locally
> who wants my E88 if I use the E31 I picked up for my 240Z.
> The reason they may be looking to give you "The Deal" on the
> E31 is that E31s are known to have weak coolant passages that
> can crack or maybe its been shaved to the point that the
> compression ratio is outrageous. Keep your E88 head and look
> for another shop!
>
> From your post I take it that your in the SouthEast. What
> part? Plenty of people on this board as well as Z clubs
> through out the South who could help direct you to a shop
> that is reputable and not looking to pawn off a questionable
> head.
>
> Later,
>
> Mike

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Re: Could be true

The very early E88 heads are the most deisrable ones for SCCA ITS racing. They have the superior flow of the E88 head (vs. the E31) with the smaller combustion chambers of the E31. This special head is only of value if you are building an ITS engine. Otherwise, any L6 head properly ported will easily outflow and outperform the stock E31/E88s.

In essence they are giving you $750 for your special E88 if I read your post correctly. That's a good price for a worn out cylinder head. I would do the deal in a second if I was building a street car but make sure the E31 head they are giving you is not worn out. Most E31's have been shaved, cracked, and rewelded.

BTW... the regular E88 head can be made to work almost as well as the "special" E88 and better than the E31. I'm surprised they are offering you that much money for the early casting. In your neck of the woods, the place to go for L6 work is Sunbelt in Sugarhill, GA.

- John

·
Registered
142 Posts
dude srew the shop it sounds like they want your head you may have the good e-88 and second i can sell you a head ,i have many ,your exhaust ports are sguare correct call me 954-802-3192 or email me [email protected] can you do the job yourself?

·
Registered
142 Posts
what is the shops hourly rate and what hours are the book time on replacing a l/6 head ?there charging 700.00 for labor its not that hard to pull a head takes a weekend and 2 gaskets and of course a good head i havea n-42 head with less than 10,000 miles bought it from nissan 5 yrs ago still in my car thats 1 of the heads i can sell to you

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the shop and left them a message telling them that Ive changed my mind and not to work on the car until they hear from me on wednesday. They said they werent going to work on it until wednesday anyways. Something didnt seem right to me Im glad that Im not the only one. Now you know why I rarely take my car to the shop. The last time I got screwed also. What I dont understand is that they said that all of my valve seats are worn out. Well if they are how come only one of them is leaking and not giving me any compression on just that cylinder?? Ill tell them to just fix the one valve or else Im going to come and get the car together or not or they can put it back together just the way it is. Thanks for the advice cause something seemed fishy to me also Im glad im not the only one. Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.