ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that my E12-92 distributor is just as good as the E12-80 module as long as I don't connect anything to the other connector? I've been looking for a new distributor for over a month thinking that the one I have was not suitable for the car. And that the timing was off by as much as 8 degrees. I have been waiting to disconnect my ballast resistor until I get the E12-80. So should I go ahead and bypass it using the instructions from the page below?

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

After doing this mod, should spark plug gap be increased or left the same?

No offense intended to you WangsMan. If it wasn't for you telling me that I wouldn't have even thought to ask this question. I'm just double checking before I go cutting my wires.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I asked this same question a few months ago. Wayne Monteath, one of the more knowledgeable guys here, said your timing will always be off unless that second plug in the e12-92 is energized. IN other words, just wait until you get an E12-80 module. FWIW, I got a couple of them at Pick-Your-Part. I called them 'relays' and the cashier charged me $3 each for them.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
When the extra connector is powered with a 12V source it will retard 8 degrees. That is all it does. If you don't power it, it will not retard.

Set the timing with a TIMING LIGHT. And the module will work like any other module.

I have tested these modules (with a timing light) and that is all that it does.

FYI, it could make a nice boost retard if connected to a pressure switch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, I read that a few months back and decided to test it myself. I found the same thing 1_fast_z and WangsMan are saying. Leave it disconnected, set the timing and all is well.

The trouble with the ZX dizzy is that 99% of the time, the magnet and vacuum advance mechanism is broken. I bet I've pulled at least 15 of these things in the last year or so and not one ZX dizzy had a good magnet. If I find a good one, I'll probably spray it or dip it in PlastiDip to give it some mild protection.

There's a Mitsubishi distributor that was manufactured for the European market that has a rock solid design but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I'll back the 92 module as well, been running it now on a stock 78 engine for half a year. Timing is very consistent. Oh I didn't have to cut any wires either.

From what I understand energizing the side plug gives 8 degrees of retardation for help in cold starting, once warm that connection does nothing.

I've thought about running a connector to that plug with a switch so when it is real cold I could use it, but I really don't have any cold start problems with all the stock parts.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.