ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i've done a little bit of searching around the site and i've heard a whole lot of conflicting stories about electric fans... now, i have 2 z's and i'm wanting to get rid of the crappy mechanical fan for both of them (my newer 88 had the clutch seize on it so i yanked the one from the 86 and used that) anyway, i'm going to be bringing the 86 out of storage to use for the winter (n/a 5 spd) and was wondering how big of a fan i needed for it... the temp. rarely gets above 0 (celcius) and i don't do much heavy driving except every other weekend up to the ski hill... there's no ac on the car anymore (compressor seized so i yanked it all, a/c rad included) and the radiator is still in pretty good shape... now could i get away with a single 16"?

now, as for my 88 (turbo 5 spd) i'm going to be doing a bit of modification on it (depending on how cash flow is of course) and i know i'll need something that can flow some serious cfm... i've been looking at a few flex-a-lite models.. mainly the syclone which flows 2500 cfm at 17 amps... now would you recommend trying to fit another smaller fan on there as well which will leave a small area uncovered... i won't be using the ac on this car either (used it twice all last summer even when it got up to 40 degrees) as i'll need to yank the compressor for easy intercooler pipe routing and the additional fan for room for the intercoolers.

oh, one more thing... with the extra current draw that the fan uses, would it be wise to swap to the maxima alternator as well? i've got a couple of subwoofers in the car as well if that makes a big enough difference... thanks!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
honestly, the temperature just dropped below 70 tonight, and I don't even turn on my electric fan, and the temperature stays right where its supposed to. I don't turn it on because it stresses my electrical system too much (need a bigger alternator).
during the summer, my fan was totally inadequate and my car would overheat sometimes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just installed my e fan and it seems like it made my engine preform a little bit better, i ddid have an over heating problem but it was the rad so i replaced it with a two core and left my reg manuel fan on and it worked fine then i put the e fan in and it seemed to preform a little better
also just replaced the alt but am thinking about puting in a maxima alt to help on the load.
but over all im happy with the switch and i didnt have a fan shroud so its safer

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
DeleriousZ -

If you're already running a few subwoofers, a decent sound system, and are wanting to add more load to the system you could consider swapping in the Maxima Alternator. It would be easy in your turbo, not so easy but do-able with the right parts in your N/A (I've done it if you have questions).

Check out AZ_ZBUM's FAQ:

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.maxima.alternator.shtml

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.. yeah i'm a regular to zbum's site.. he's got a lot of great stuff on there. (i found the transmission/differential pages extremely helpful)

for the alternator swap, what's the difference between the 84-86 n/a's compared to the 87-89 turbo's other than their location? i would assume that swapping the pulley from the z's alternator onto the maxima alternator would be easier (provided i can stop the pulley from turning) than yanking off all the belts and trying to get the crank pulley off... mind you the slightly larger z pulley might lower the amperage of the alternator slightly.. anyway i'm just rambling now...

have you guys seen any specific brands of fans that work well or are specified for the z's goofy radiator? oh, and also, i've heard companies boasting up to 15 whp gains from removing the mech. fan in the Z32... i'm sure this has a touch of slander to it... but has anyone actually dyno tested the improvements of the swap?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
The single largest performance mod I have done to date was remove the mechanical fan. more than the k&n intake for sure. I have an n/a engine, so every little bit helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.