ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what I do I cant get my hood to close right. I cant slam it cause the latch hits the wrong place so I have to hold the latch back untill it catches its slot. after I get it latched I push the hood down but it wont catch the other latch(the one the cable operates), I push it down hard, it stays for a split scond then it pops back up. I tried moving both the latch on the hood and the receiver on the car but it still didnt help.

Should I try to adjust the pin? something else? I really dont wanna drive around with my hood poped up, so any help is apreciated.

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX 10th AE

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi ZXAE.
Just curious when this pecular behavior began ? Was it directly after something you had done or it the hood simply decide not to shut one day ??? Well ... you could loosen the 12mm bolts at the front of the hood where it attaches to the swinging rail ( darn it... I'm forgetting too much...sorry ) and then simply PULL back on the hood. This readjustment might make a 1/4 inch difference which would have your hood centered and closing once more...Or you could adjust the latch mechanisn and move it backward or sideways.... Hey, I have confidence that you'll figure this out. I mean it ain't brain surgery. Have fun. shane-

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I picked the car up yesterday it was completley closed. Poped it when I got home went to close it and it wouldnt stay closed. I even tried taking the latch all the way off and stcking it in the recviver to see if it would go in(It did).

Justin T

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Justin

Is this a NEW car to you and therefore don't know what has been done before, or is this the same car you've had for a while.

If new, check the Hood Release Cable at the HANDLE. It is very possible that the prior owner, shortened the cable by adjusting the handle out on it's travel. There is a nut that rides on the shaft that's attached to the cable. It will only allow the cable to retract so much before it hits the chrome housing, hence not allowing the latch mechanism to retract all the way to where it can engage the pin.

Another possibility, is that the PO repaired the release cable and in turn shortened it with his fix.

If it's your same car, check the first thing I wrote. If that little nut suddenly vibrated loose and worked it's way down to the chrome after one or two times of opening and shutting the hood, it might have worked itself further down the shaft.

Otherwise, something happened to your car to cause the hood latch to go out of adjustment. What did you have done, or what might have happened to the car?

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the car yesterday this is my first ever 1st gen Z, I am VERY unfimiliar with them, this only the second 1st gen I have phsyicaly touched.

Anyway thanks for the advice I'll try adjusting that nut.

Justin T

· Registered
185 Posts
if its tweeked like mine, than you need to gently get it on the safety latch, push one side down, than jump and put all your weight on the other side nd sit for ik 5 sdconds to make sure it closes (yes my new is on order and should be here soon)

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Justin;

If the cable checks out ok, then you may have a simple alignment or adjustment problem.

If the Hood Pin is too short, it might require as you put it, a ton of pressure in order to get the hood down far enough to let the latch catch. This is a simple fix. Loosen the nut at the base of the Hood Pin, then with a straight edge screwdriver, turn the pin a half turn or so. Re tighten the nut. Try closing the hood.

All this of course presumes that your hood is properly centered in the opening and that the latch is receiving the pin and safety catch without knocking them to the side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.