ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a new distributor in my 73 240Z. It has dual points (automatic trans.) Are the points supposed to open at the same time and is the gap supposed to be the same on each set of points? I'll be glad when I can get rid of this setup, but I cant locate an electronic ignition that will work with an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
486 Posts
What is the difference between the automatic and standard tranny cars distributor? Is there a difference for the electronic versions? I have about 6 extra distributors in a box, a couple being from 77-78's with electronic pickups, looking good for the HEI setup to be added, or maybe an MSD. I am going to try my MSD 6AL with one, but am willing to sell/trade the other. Let me know the differences and I will look at the dist.'s for you.
Joshua L.

I would rather trade something, even little. I am not trying to get rich...

·
Registered
13 Posts
>

I have seen an electronic ignition setup that you litterally remove the points and condenser from your standard dizzy and insert the new plate inside . No alterations are required to the dizzy at all.I've been told that this setup works very well and no point bounce. I can't find the mfg. of it but I will keep looking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Chris,
I think you probably saw the pertronix magnetic pickup conversion. Crane also makes the XR-700, but according to others is not as good. I have no experience with either, but a friend used the crane with very good results. Crane is available from Motorsport Auto I think. Look in the archives, they talked about it recently.
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

I am using a '70 points dist. for my 83 engine and it works great, no problems at all for the short time I have used it. It will get the electronic dist. as soon as I put the engine in the right car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.