ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have duals installed on the Z31 or is it to big a pain in the ass to even consider, i know on my 77 280z the fuel tank is in a place tha tmakes it impossible without relocating it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
doable, but useless in terms of performance... a single large pipe will have overall less surface area that the exhaust gas comes in contact with the walls of the pipe compared to 2 medium sized pipes (dual 2.5" vs single 3.56" i believe)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looking at the pix of the link domdogg posted, that still isn't a true dual exhaust. I true dual exhaust will have to totally seperate pipes dumping out exhaust individually.

Even though that is one beautiful setup, it's not dual exhaust. DeleriousZ is right. Don't think you'll see much in terms of performance. A setup like the one Domdogg displayed would be as close to perfect as you will get IMHO.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You can't get a "true" dual exhaust with a turbo engine without having 2 turbos.

With an NA, just run headers, Bring them back, probably balance it out with an H or X pipe, and run them to the tail.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It could probably be done on a NA using the stock manifolds. Just make a nice dual engine pipe maintaining the separation at the flange.
Finding somewhere to put twin catcons could be tricky, else use a single catcon as a fakey X-pipe, but that would not be ideal. At least each of the twin catcons could be smaller since they individually only have to handle 1.5 litres of engine.
A well executed twin system could sound nice seeing how a 6 would have pulses spaced out further than a V8 at the same revs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Exactly, what's the point. Gains would be minimal if at all. Domdogg is right, just put headers on the sucker and that's about it. Maybe even all new mandrel bent pipes with a high flow cat and muffler and that's it.

I wouldn't spend too much money on an exhaust for an N/A unless you absolutely wanted to for your own personal satisfaction and the knowledge that you have the absolute best stuff under the seats, then by all means do it. Like my grandaddy used to say, "everybody has to p!ss with his own d!ck!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.