ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing 38/38 DGS on my '72 Z, and the kit I bought has manual chokes. I'm actually having fun figuring out the cable control, but my question to you seasoned Z folks is should I exchange my new manual choke for an electric choke version? Sure, the electric version is much easier, but which is more trouble-free in the long run?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manually - A manual choke is controlled by a lever on the side of the carb. A lever or knob inside the vehicle is then attached by a cable. This requires a person inside the car to slowly open the choke by hand. Automatically - An automatic choke uses a metal spring to open and close the choke plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manually - A manual choke is controlled by a lever on the side of the carb. A lever or knob inside the vehicle is then attached by a cable. This requires a person inside the car to slowly open the choke by hand. Automatically - An automatic choke uses a metal spring to open and close the choke plate.
Thanks for the explanation but that's not really my question. I've heard that the e-choke sometimes can get finicky and not reliable. But that's some really old rumors. Don't know if that's still true or not especially, as you described, the e-choke method hasn't changed design since the '60s.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I used the weber downdrafts many years ago and they had the manual choke, run off the stock knob, no trouble ever. But I usuallydidn't need to choke those carbs to start the car, even in cold weather. A couple good pumps on the gas pedal before starting was all it took; the accelerator pumps threw a couple squirts of raw gas into the carb and it started right up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the weber downdrafts many years ago and they had the manual choke, run off the stock knob, no trouble ever. But I usuallydidn't need to choke those carbs to start the car, even in cold weather. A couple good pumps on the gas pedal before starting was all it took; the accelerator pumps threw a couple squirts of raw gas into the carb and it started right up.
Perfect! That's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jeeze; in my stupidity, I would have thought that the basic issue would have been whether downdraughts, with their attendant kink in the intake manifold, offered the equal opportunities for free-draw of intake air and responsible filtering, that is so easily provided by sidedraughts.

Whoda' thunk...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts