ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280zx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my Z back on the road (1979 280zx N/A) and while I was cranking my drop resistor began smoking, just a little but smoking none the less. The part numbers are A15-000008 & A15-000009 just got some new ones but would like to figure out why they got so hot to begin with before risking burning up another set. I did notice some of my fuel lines were swelling up and leaking while this was happening. Could I have a bad fuel pressure regulator? That's my best guess.

·
Registered
983 Posts
smoking dropping resistor means too much current is flowing thru the circuit. I assume you mean the FI resistors since the ballast resistor is call the ballast resistor. For the FI resistors to smoke I would think you either have the wrong fuel injectors installed, or a incorrect wiring that is bypassing the injectors and is just grounding the battery.

I am pretty sure there is no ballast resistor in the zx.

·
Registered
1979 280zx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is running! replaced the drop resistor with another used one and then installed a new much smaller fuel injector rail with separate fuel resistor and gauge then boom after cranking it a few time purging air out of the fuel system she started right up, thanks for the help. Also had to move around my wiring (2 red/blue ones) on the ICM because I wasn't getting any spark, loose terminals I'm guessing. Gonna swap those out soon, just happy it runs again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts