ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the clutch in my '77280Z and I can't see how to get at the nuts on the drive shaft does it take a special tool? I have the vehicle jacked up and the factory service manual just says remove bolts that hold on the drive shaft. Is there a trick to it?

Johnell

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
i just went through that,,,,twice,,,,don't ask. bought my first z a month ago, first thing i had to do was the clutch. it's also a 77280z. the chiltons is'nt as model-specific as i'd like, but i figured it all out. i removed the lower diff mount and used a box end 12mm wrench to turn them,,,little by little. with the diff mount out of the way, i wedged up the diff, and went between the sway car and diff to get to those **** little nuts. why'd they have to put them on the back side, anyways?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
yep, 12mm will work, but use the open-end style wrenches on them. Leave the shifter in neutral so you can turn the driveshaft to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A 6 point box end works good too. Don't use a 12 point, it'll round out the nuts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did this on my 78 about 2 month ago, my hand got STUCK...I mean STUCk between the end of the driveshaft and the tunnel, freaked me out...sat there for about 20 seconds before I figured out how to get my hand out. It took just a few different approaches and flex O wrist, you'll find a way. What a pain in the ass though.
chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have to, go at it from the top. Remove the center councel. Move the rug back, then the wiring thats in the way. Go under neith and take out the emergency break bracket. Use the bracket holes for refernce. Drill 4 holes for the corners of the hole to be cut. Only cut 3 sides and peal it back like a tin can. Only cut up to the bracket mount holes. I used a saber saw with a metal cutting blade. Cut the hole side to side as long as possible. Turn the drive shaft till the nuts are at about 10:00 and 2:00, and block the tires with the transmission in gear. A box 12mm will just fit with another box end on the open end of the 12mm wrench. It's a lot of work, but I've done 3 that way.
When done push the metal back, tape over the hole, and put the carpet/councel back. Good luck.
Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.