ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm. I can't seem to get the driveshaft bolts off, and the worst part is my magic bolt remover which I've been using on everything else doesn't fit in there. Unless.. if I take the crossmember off will there be more room? Does anyone know the actual bolt size? Probably part of the reason all my bolts are stripping is I'm using standard wrenches and it's probably metric huh..

Nic

Post Edited (Nov 13, 4:34pm)

·
Registered
304 Posts
eee yup. metric. 13 if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Drive shaft bolt size?

Just took my diff out today. The rear drive shaft bolts are 14mm on my 84NA.

Yes it is much easier to get to with the cross member removed, but it is doable with it installed. I used a long and strong screwdriver in the Ujoint to hold the shaft. Get it in a decent position that works and put some back in it. It will be tight but should come loose. A long 14mm open end wrench is what you will need. And I mean long like 12"+ since most are too short to give you any real torque.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thanks, I got the u-joint part figured out, but I had to give up until I got the right wrench for fear of stripping the bolts

·
Registered
297 Posts
those driveshafts are a bitch to take out, first comes the exhaust, sway bar...you get the idea.

nodody ever said z's were fun to work on :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, finally got the driveshaft out. My new 14mm wrench only worked on two of the bolts - luckily vicegrips fit in there. On my car every bolt is like it's own project.. that's what you get when you work on a 19 year old car though I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.