Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I've been reading up on the discussions about the carrier bearing that's prone to failure. I'm getting a fairly loud humming noise from the drive shaft especially at lower speeds and when decelerating and braking. I have a 2+2 and I jacked it up and ran it in 1st and 2nd gears, and the noise seems to mid way between the and of the tranny and the differential. I looked at the carrier bearing, and it hasn't separated from the rubber bushing that it's in. I suspect the bearing may be wearing out and causing the noise. Has anyone had this problem, that is, catching the bearing while it's still noisy but hasn't failed completely? Can it be greased, or is it shot at this point? Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It sounds like it's on its way out. There's no saving it. Time to rerplace the CB or go to a 1-piece. If I had it to do over again I would have stayed with the oem 2-piece. My NYX 1-piece has been trouble free for years now though.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
The one piece is a bolt up & lighter..

The two piece ( when things are good ) is a bit smoother...

Do something soon either way...

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
they make carbon fiber driveshafts for the Z32, but the 3lb weight savings over the steel single piece isnt worth the 800$ price jump between the two...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Z-CARR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I had it to do over again I would have
> stayed with the oem 2-piece. My NYX 1-piece has
> been trouble free for years now though.

Why would you stay with the 2piece?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
z_man_95 Wrote:
> Why would you stay with the 2piece?

A little more quiet. I have developed a slight "clunk" in two diffs now since I've been using the 1-piece. I put ES diff carrier busings in not too long before the DS and I think that the little bit of give in the 2-piece design could have helped to eliminate that. In all fairness though, going back with stock diff carrier bushings would have likely helped to avoid the "clunk" as well.

And yes, I am sure that the diff is where the play in my drivetrain is.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
z_man_95 Wrote:
> Z-CARR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> > stayed with the oem 2-piece. My NYX 1-piece has
> > been trouble free for years now though.
>
SO the NYX hasn't been compeltely trouble free.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Mine has. I have the ES diff bushings as well, and have that clunk. But I had that clunk before the ES bushings and 1piece ds. It just became louder after the mods.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
MrPulldown Wrote:
> z_man_95 Wrote:
> -----
> > Z-CARR Wrote:
> >
>
>
> > > stayed with the oem 2-piece. My NYX 1-piece
> has
> > > been trouble free for years now though.
> >
> SO the NYX hasn't been compeltely trouble free.

Mine has in my opinion. The driveshaft itself is functioning properly. It's the fact that I have the ES diff bushngs coupled with the one-piece DS that seems to be slowly eating differentials.

I suppose that based on that, you could make an argument that the one-piece is not trouble free. The reason I want to go back to the stocker is to put a little "give" back into the drivetrain and hopefully save my new (used) differential.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Eatting diffs. Really I thought I was the only one that trashed a rear diff. I thought mine was due to putting the metal spacer in the wronge place and the center ds bearing going out.

Tell me about your diff failures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.