ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of swapping a 5 speed from a '79zx to a '75z, but I have run into a little problem. The driveshaft from the '79 doesn't match up with the differential flange from the '75. so I pulled the flanges from both the 79 and the 75 and found that they are not interchangeable. Please advise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the same swap with no hitch but I had the gearbox reworked at the Z-Barn and they Knew what it was going into so they might have change the parts. I did have to change the shifter because the four speed shifter is the wrong length and won't let you shift into 5th gear. If you got the trans from a junk yard or from someone other than you priest I would sugest haveing the counter shaft bearings looked at min. If they are bad it will slip out of 5th under load or when you let of the gas which mean R&R the gearbox again and more down time. Call Roger at the Z-Barn and he can prob. help with your questions and good used parts.
(423) 983-0314

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Has anyone ever done such a swap themselves? I need some info without having to call a 423 area code. Are the Differentials interchangeable? I'm stuck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You will need the driveshaft from a '76-'78 280Z to fit the tranny. The '75 driveshaft is shorter and won't mate properly.

> I'm in the process of swapping a 5 speed
> from a '79zx to a '75z, but I have run into
> a little problem. The driveshaft from the
> '79 doesn't match up with the differential
> flange from the '75. so I pulled the flanges
> from both the 79 and the 75 and found that
> they are not interchangeable. Please advise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.