ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all.

Another issue with the revenant Z.
My 77' has an odd electrical issue that I can't track down.

Headlights work, car runs.

But the interior accessories, fan, radio, dash light and tail lights don't

The odd thing, that there is power going to the fuse box at 12 volts to all of the fuse box, until I try to turn on an accessory.

So, here is the symptom. Fuse block has power at 12 volts, until I put a load (ie, turning on the fan) on it, then the fuse block drops to 4 volts or less.

Ive checked all the positive wires, checked grounds I can find. Fuses good, replaced voltage regulator.

Everything under the dash looks perfect.

It seems all of the problems are with all accessories.

another thing, the old voltage regulator started heating and melting a bit, new regulator got hot. and when I unplugged the new regulator, there was a big flash at the plug.

Handwriting Font Parallel Rectangle Chalk

Everything marked with a red X doesn't work.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thank you all for your help!
Kent

·
Registered
213 Posts
You have a bad power wire somewhere. Could be corrosion. Once you turn on something, there isnt enough contact to allow enough current or power the acc and your voltage drops.. You have just enough contact to show 12v with nothing turned on. Start at the beginning of each circuit, that would be power to the fuse block and or fuse links and work your way toward the accessory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a bad power wire somewhere. Could be corrosion. Once you turn on something, there isnt enough contact to allow enough current or power the acc and your voltage drops.. You have just enough contact to show 12v with nothing turned on. Start at the beginning of each circuit, that would be power to the fuse block and or fuse links and work your way toward the accessory.
Yes, thats what I figured too.
my guess it is positive line issue since it is creating heat. also since it is almost the entire fuse block, the problem is in a power distributer that is going into the fuse block.
wanted to see if anyone knew if there is a common power line that goes to the fuseblock, that is just fo the accessories.

thanks again

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Start with your fusible link holders. Those can get corroded easily. Sometimes you have to unwrap the wiring harness and inspect the splices in the harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts