ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know some basic things about my z and drag racing. like is 15.4 a good time for a stock 80 5speed with advanced timing? what type of aftermarket ignitoin works good? and are 411 gears a good idea on drag car that would see a little stret action!

·
Registered
887 Posts
the gears are great as long as you dont plan any high speed trips,however,if you put that gear in w/only a one legger,open diff, it might even hurt you,it should want to spin more in 2nd and maybe 3rd.Try to find a posi unit if you want to drag race,as for the ignition stuff, try mallory or accel,they make good stuff.I must say though,the gear swap will be the biggest seat of the pants difference you will ever see other than major mods.I'v been doing this a long time,once your used to the diff. try squeezing it with a 75 shot NOS fogger,that take atleast 1/2 a second off your ET.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
4.11 gears would be a good idea on your car because you have a 5 spd transmission, however I think your car came stock with a 3.90 gear (I think), so there is'nt a lot of differance for all the hassle of changing gears. Try to drop as much weight as possible from the car including air conditioning and all smog pumps and unneeded equipment.. Keep in mind that for every 100 lbs. you can drop, your car will pick up .1 second in the 1/4 mile. Even more important is lowering the rotating weight of your motor, by lightening internal and external engine and drivetrain components. A good example is what I did. I took my stock 78Z double crank pulley and swapped it out for a lighter and smaller 240Z double pulley, and then had the outer (not-used) pulley milled off for even more weight loss. This loss alone totalled about 2 lbs.(something engine builders spend many hours and lots of dough trying to accomplish). While I was at it I eliminated the sickly stock clutch fan in favor of a new electric puller fan. My car this fall ran a 16.05 at 85 mph with a 4 speed and running through a bad cat. converter on stock size pipes. I think this next Spring, I will be running neck and neck with you, mainly from the new 2.5" MSA exhaust, some other minor tweeks, and the above mentioned mods. Watch out when I finally get a 5 spd and 3.90 or 4.11 gears.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would do the 3.90. These come stock and if you do already have them weld the spiders up. If you don't see much street you will love it. I've been welded for about 6 years and have no regrets. If you are lokking to regear to lauch better you might want to consider an earlier 5 spd as the later ones that come with the 3.90 have taller 1,2, and 3rd gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Well...it looks like you need a better time..!!! 4.11 rear end ratio is good only if you have a powerful engine. You may need to spend some cash in this case. What fuel system you're running on (standard inj or holley) is it a stroker 89mm..? What other modification you've done... let me know and I can give you a good feed back to improve you machine and time. What I have a 280zx (2 seater) used for drag the best time is 11 sec (yet) but I spent alot of $$$$ to get this time. Basicaly my machine is like this: stroker ld28 89mm, 2" headers open, 4.11 ratio lsd, electromotive ign sys, supercharger, commander 950 fuel sys, 0.624 lift camshaft, full set light pulleys, water pump and alt running on elect motor, fully racing ported cylinder head P90, crank been shaved and balanced, stage 5 clutchmasters, body has gone under wieght reduction (fiberglass finders,hatch and hood), 26" slick on centrelines, 2 stage nitrous (total of 200 hp), JE forged pistons with totalseals, plus many mods. 11 sec's stil not good enough to beat a V8, my target is 1 sec less. you can have an idea of what you need to get a better time. Just make sure to get you match-up right.

Cheers
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.