Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your netzero mail is bouncing...

--- doug <[email protected]> wrote:

>I dont want to do
> that hill test since i
> dont want to be stranded and if its not the clutch
> then i dont want to ruin
> it.

??? If it doesn't hook back up just let off the gas.
If the clutch is good this "test" isn't going to hurt
anything. If the clutch blows up (never seen one do
that) it was about to blow up no matter what.

>
> Im going to try to take off on flat ground in 2nd
> again, then third and
> fourth.

Now that WILL screw up a clutch.

>The problem all started when i took my buddy out for a ride and the haltech
>wasnt running right. I figured it was a bad map, but since then i installed
>a 280z alt. and cleaned connections. Now the car is nice and smooth.

>Anyways i took the guy for a ride and was really getting on it, but it was
>performing like it should have. But it was putting the power down to the
> wheels. I took off in first and it was laying the rubber down all the way
>til second, second laid down the rubber and stopped about 3 seconds >before i shifted hard into third. Third made the back end move a bit and >then the tires gripped. Went home and tried a different map cause i was >getting frustrated with the fuel map. Changed the map then took it for a >run in a parking lot. I took off and the tires chirped a bit then the rpms >keptrising but not much power was there. 2nd too.

Think about what you just wrote. You said you changed
the map and then it started acting weird, why would
changing the map do something to the clutch? Like I
said a clutch isn't going to slip in 1st gear then be
OK in 3rd, it will be the OTHER way around.

> Difference from before to now is light and day.

So put the other map back in.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was the buddy that was there helping doug, and on the run where it was running pretty good, i noticed every once in a while it would slip in first but not second. The rpms would raise but the car wouldnt be moving forward... I dont know if it was getting worse but i started to notice it more and more. He went out alone for the next run, but i imagine it was still slipping. And i have drivin cars that will slip in 1stt and 2nd but stop after that but this was when the cluth was first going. My z was having kinda the same prob, i couldnt launch in 1st hardly it would just screem with rpms and not go. I would have to feather the throttle to take off. But it wouldnt do this in any other gear.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
same with me...but you could smell my clutch when it went out.. smelled real nice.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yea, clutches smell when yer burning em, some people think it's the smell of their tires burning tho.
Given yer mods, unless there is a turbo or other major mod not mentioned in your signature, it is very unlikely you are burning rubber in 2nd and making the back end move in 3rd gear. I am not saying it is impossible, but the fact that our Z's are rear wheel drive on not exactly over-powered makes me think you are probably burning the clutch and not burning the tires as you believe.
Do the uphill test, it's the best...

Let us know when you figure out for sure what is going on!

- Brazle

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slipping in 1st but not in 3rd doesn't make any sense unless there is also some other problem where the engine loses power/fuel pressure after it's been pulling for a while? Every bad clutch I've ever seen slips worse in the higher gears than the lower ones.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Post Edited (Feb 18, 6:27pm)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
steves, when my clutch went out when i frist got the car, i couldnt launch hard at all, the RPMS would just go way up, then if you let off the gas easily, and shifted into 2nd, the car would be driveable and so on up the gears...pehaps mine and his car is just special with clutches!?!?!?!?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.