ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, my doors on my 1978 clunk really loud when I shut them, they dont close when I lock it and try to close the door from the outside, it latches but doesnt shut all the way, i have to hit it with my hip to shut completely. (it closes fine if I dont lock it until i use the key after its shut.) They make a very loud clunking and sqeaking noise at the hinges. Anyone know of a good lube that works to take that problem away? Also the linkage for the key lock mechanism is really difficult to turn with the key, can that be lubed somewhere also? Because its hard to turn, the stupid ends have worn out on the tumbler (?) and now the passenger side key lock doesnt work at all.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I have similar problems with my 78. I replaced the key cylinders some years back and they persist. In fact,I dented mt driver's door from using my hip to close it. I have drawn the conclusion that what you must do is to replace the door latch mechanism. I am not sure if the part is even available anymore, but it is whqt ever is inside the door itself. There must be some spring in there that has corrosion or something. I am interested in the responses to this. Good luck.

· Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi szlash280z78, John-----------------When I had this problem with the doors on my 240, I removed the door panel and moisture barrier so I could access the door latch mechanism. I applied a dab of white lithium grease to every moving part of the latch and blasted the tumbler with lots of Liquid Wrench. This made the latch and lock mechanisms work much more smoothly, but I still have to lock the doors after shutting them. At the same time, I lubricated the window regulator and its moving parts. This made a huge difference in the effort required to roll the window up and down. This is a simple procedure that takes very little time and yields great results.

· Registered
104 Posts
My previous z, a '72 240, came with the original manual. In it, it said that one cannot lock the doors and then shut them...they must be locked with the key from the outside. Datsun designed it this way so that no one can lock the keys in the car. Funny, I've never locked my keys in my z....

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, ok how bout this?

where do you get white lithium grease? I replaced my lock cylinders a while ago, but the stupid new ones have a different shaped, uh, lever actuating arm holding thingy(?) does anyone know where to get the right kind that dont cost $100? I got mine at a autozone or whatever for $30, they have the same pattern tabs that go thru the door but the pin on the back that holds the arm on is different.

oh when my windows are rolled partially down, they seem loose (they wiggle a bit) is there a part that puts pressure on it to hold it more securely?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.