ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 zx has 164k miles and is starting to show its age. I have considerable door rattles when I go over bumps. Where should I start in trying to eliminate these rattles? Would new door weatherstripping help. What about the door bumper. Also I have noticed that the plastic bushing that goes around the little metal catch (that the door latch catches onto) is worn out.

Does realigning the doors to eliminate sag require removing the front fenders?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I problems with door rattles and found that the window regulator was loose and tightening the nuts fixed an amazing amount the rattles.

Just something I found,
Aren

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Address the problem step by step.

If you have sagging hinges, get those replaced, be sure to mark the current location in order to return the door to the same position.

Don't realign the door to make up for bad weatherstrip. If you do, you'll probably make it worse. Get the replacement weatherstrip, install, and then see if you still need to realign.
Take a look at all the components, tighten down any loose screws, check to make sure that the window channel gasket is still in place and sound. Check the window pressure roller to make sure it's still in place and working. Check the general operation of the window, adjust and replace as necessary.

If the door latch mechanism rods and linkages are loose, you may find that slipping a piece of rubber hose over the linkage may quiet it down.

Welcome to the fun of owning an older car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.