ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '75 280Z and it has some door problems. When it is dry outside the doors have to be pushed shut, then pressed down a bit to get them to close and lock. When it is raining or has been wet for a few days they close fine. Any ideas???? I got two answers in TwinTurbo but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say...
Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
650 Posts
actually ive almost got this same problem. mines started when i changed the weather stripping but its also caused by the part of the door stopper bolt holes are stripped and so its constantly shift posistions. someone suggested i have it spot welded in place. i think the stoppers need to be re-aligned also because the the old weather stripping and the door kinda developed a wear pattern over the years thus a new one need to be created. when it rains the wetness probably helps your weather stripping increase its grip on the door thats why it locks better. im not sure if its right, ****, my hypothosis is probably way off, but if it is i wish someone could tell me how to fix my problem too. =)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Bad design for external lock mechanism

> actually ive almost got this same problem.
> mines started when i changed the weather
> stripping but its also caused by the part of
> the door stopper bolt holes are stripped and
> so its constantly shift posistions. someone
> suggested i have it spot welded in place. i
> think the stoppers need to be re-aligned
> also because the the old weather stripping
> and the door kinda developed a wear pattern
> over the years thus a new one need to be
> created. when it rains the wetness probably
> helps your weather stripping increase its
> grip on the door thats why it locks better.
> im not sure if its right, ****, my
> hypothosis is probably way off, but if it is
> i wish someone could tell me how to fix my
> problem too. =)

I have no problems with my passenger side door on my 76 280, but my driver's side door doesn't close well (sagging hinges) and the door mechanism is broken so the door locks don't work. The newer, internal door latch mechanism on the 77-78 280s is much better. I'm going to restore a 77 chassis and swap all of the interior, engine, etc. from my 76 into the 77 chassis and rid myself of this mess. Plus the lock/latch mechanism is expensive.

Good luck. I've been told that replacing hinges does a lot to make the door operate better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.