ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not necessarily the best solution...

Not running a thermostat most likely will help your engine run cooler, but you lose many benefits.

First of all, the thermostat is there to help the engine heat up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This is essential for long engine life. Contrary to belief, engines need to run at a certain temperature, cooler isn't necessarily better. Of course running too hot isn't good either.

Secondly, the thermostat acts as a restriction, preventing coolant from flowing or cavitating back towards the block. Think of it as a sort of check valve.

That being said, the optimum setup for an engine is a thermostat that warms up the engine as quickly as possible, then allows the optimum amount of coolant to pass to keep the engine at that temp. The harder you drive, the lower temp thermostat you need, to help bleed off excess heat created from hard driving. These conditions vary depending on climate and driving, thus the reason Nissan offers different temp thermostats.

Removing the thermostat completely is a mistake IMHO.

240Dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the Engine Runs Too Cold...

the oil in it doesn't break down properly and the internal parts wear out prontissimo. If you think that's a good idea, throw your thermostat away.

Heck, why stop there, you can save some more weight by tossing out the oil and air filters too. In no time at all your mill should transform itself into a handsome piece of wrought iron sculpture.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that about sums it up!!

Someone put it there for a reason. I wonder which one I should go with???? Duh...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: I agree with SLIM.nc

A thermostat is absolutely necessary because it holds the temperature within a set range designed to produce the correct clearances between parts made of different metals. Aluminum expands much more that cast iron for a given temp change. Too cold and you have piston slop and uneven seal at the head. Too hot and you have not enough piston/cylinder clearance and a warped head. If you are having overheating problems, fix whatever is wrong and keep the recommended thermostat.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: I agree with SLIM.nc

Maybe you guys can help me with this, when my Z is at operating temp I can feel the heat under the dash like if the heater is on but its not blowing. The guage reads good but the engine seems to be running hot if I can feel it to the point where I have to put the windows down. What do you sugjest?
thanks steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.