ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as if D.P. has come to the forefront again, with claims of tremendous hp increases. Granted, the guy knows what he's doing,but personally I have a hard time justifying the amount of $ he charges/expects for certain things.

The guy is somewhat difficult to get along with, especially if you are not as 'Z knowledgeable' as he is. Basically, he hates explaining himself, which makes it hard to see what he's talking about. It seems as if some of his claims are somewhat exaggerated (they may not be, but I'd like proof, especially for the amount of $ he charges), which makes people believe he's a 'Z god'. He does produce some high quality stuff, and it does perform, but I doubt some of his claims would actually yield the same results on a street engine. A 15% power increase from a distritbutor mod seems a little out of line. I'd be more willing to believe a 5% increase is possible, but I'd need some kind of idea as to what his 'fix' is to really believe it. Good luck in getting an info though, as his 'fix' is a 'secret' and although he charges $450 to do it, he won't tell you what he does. I have a real hard time spending $450 to 'fix' something, that may or may not need fixing, and even after it's done, I still won't know what was done. That would sure make me feel like a fool.

just my .02
Dave

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, we could all chip in 5 or 10 bucks, buy one and then have someone disect it and compare that to a normal one. Wouldn't be a big secret then now would it? I agree he does know his "stuff" but his services don't come cheap either. He does however have access to the Primadonna Body Kit molds if anyone's just dying to buy the kit. I must admit I've given it some thought. I'd have to modify it to use round lights though, square lights on Z's such as on this and the JCR kit look like crap IMO. BTW the kit's about $6000.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Not a fascination, Just a quest for knowledge.<

From an engineering standpoint he has made total sense in his explanations of how things work or how mods will improve performance. I think he has tapped the knowledge and brought out hidden potentials in the Z motor. When you think about JUN putting 1100hp to the ground out of the 2.6L Skyline motor, why does 800hp seem crazy out of a motor that is very similar. The dynamics and physics of a combustion chamber are so critical to the performance of a motor and to have that knowledge out of only a few people should be worth big money. I have had no problem talking to him and he has not gotten frustrated with me. The only problem I have had is trying to get off the phone because he wants to share so much information. Knowing his accomplishments, I think his reputation and skills speak for themselves!

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Not a fascination, Just a quest for knowledge.

I'll agree there, don't call the man unless you want to hear a great deal of information. Really his prices aren't out of line when you consider that probably 90% of his clientel are racers not hod rodders.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My 2 cents, if it matters
The 450 dollars is alot of money to spend if you dont know whats being done. Is his distributor work just for certain models of distributors? You can make a difference by adjusting spring rates on the distributors (cenifical force) I believe is what its called and I do believe I spelled that wrong also. If you own a turbo car or any with crank angle sensors in them I dont see how you can improve these, sence there is not much involved with the unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.