2 240z's with all the money i have saved

1 of these 240's is for restoration to just have a collectable classic
and the other to make into a race car

this is what i would like to know

can i put twin turbo's into a standard L24 engine

these are the modifications i would like to do to one of the z'ds

Twin Turbo
Low Compression Pistons
Nitro system (just for that lovely item called the 1/4 mile)

what would be the best option to supe the car up the above option or put a
350 Chev Engine in

thanks for the help

·
Registered
887 Posts
I dont know what kindof $ u got or what parts r availible over there but n da states a V8 is allways best when it comes to $,check to see if u can get ahold of a company called tickford they do some cool @!#$ w/the fords over there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Dude, I'm in Aus as well

Umm, putting a twin turbo or a nos system into an L24 would probably be a big mistake! First of all unless it's already been modified it's going to use carbuerators, not fuel injection; which is pretty dodgey for turbocharging, let alone installing a twin turbo!

Your best route of action would be to start out with an engine transplant, and depending on what sort of funding you've got and if you want to stay with nissan parts (usually a good idea) the best engines to go for are the L28 Injected, RB25det and RB26dett. Some people say the RB20det is a better choice then the 25.

Now this alone is getting up into the $10,000+ range, especially the RB26dett, which the engine alone will cost you $8000 in good shape.

If you go the route of the L28, which is from a 280z, it will be very easy to install and get road worthy, also will be pretty cheap to buy and will give the 240 a nice amount of power. But if you're planning on some serious power, it'll need some very heavy modifications which will cost alot of money. The RB26dett on the other hand is from a Skyline GTR, and is nigh on bullet proof. Plus it's already twin turbo. However putting it into a Zed will require some heavy modification and fabrication in the engine bay. Also you'll need bigger tyres, wheels, brakes, fuel pumps, gearbox, and pretty much the entire drivetrain and maybe an aftermarket ECU.

Hehe, just my .02c

I've been looking at both options lately, and the L28 engine + installation works out much cheaper and can be down to $6000 dollars if you know people. The RB26dett on the other hand is waaay up there, unless you're loaded your probably don't want to think about it.. The other RBs, 20det and 25det will both mark in at around $16,000 or so.. This is just my experience anyways, if anybody has better quotes.. TELL ME! (oh, and that includes everything needed to alter a stock Zed and make it roadworthy again, like brakes, wheels, tyres, etc).

Hehe, Cheers

Will - Arch - www.ZeroUnited.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey nice to see another aussie.

Congrats on gaining 2x240s. I hope you achieve all the things you want to do with these zeds, but its prolly gonna cost ya a packet of cash. Turbo engines, especially twins in oz are rare. You can get a crate import from Japan but you can say goodbye to insurance (If your wallet is the same size as mine!).
You can prolly put TT on a l24 in theory but you would have to change injectors, pistons, aftermarket ECU. Cheaper to drop another factory TT in. Even thats not cheap.

V8 is a good option considering the amount of commodores and V8 fords we have around the place. The parts are easy to come by and plenty of performance options available. As for the Chev V8 a mob called JTR (Jags that Run) have put out a publication on putting chevs in first jen Zeds. wwwjagsthatrun.com .Dropping it in isn't much of a problem, its the wiring and drivetrain issues that really cost$$$.

Hope this answeres some Qs

BTW, where in oz are you?

Loops

·
Registered
359 Posts
well, for starters, theres not much point modding an L24 block...

Turbocharging is going to be very expensive, and we're probably talking a 5 figure sum minimum to get it all done (inc brakes, wheels, computer etc).

alternate option is to go for a high performance N/A engine.
Definately start with a 280zx L28 2.8L block & head, and do some of the following:
port & polish, flat top pistons, mild cam, maybe double or triple webers or something and so on.

alternatively, you could go the 3.1L - an L28 stroked out. It requires the use of a diesel crank (from a Patrol I think) but with all associated mods you should be able to get over 200, maybe max 200hp out of that motor. It will cost a bit, but no way near as much as a turbo...

besides, the 240Z aint exactly slow stock :)

Jeremy
Melbourne, Aust

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i think you need a V engine to do twin turbos, cuz your exhaust is all on the same side with the straight 6, dont know if Im right about that, you could do a single big ass turbo though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it

i think i will sit and chill for a while drive my clapped 120y :((( ariund for a while
then do a v8 convertion (i just crashed my commadore and i would never wanna crash a Z) so thanks to all who rely

my icq number is : 81813564
andyone wanna chat i live in melb. australia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.