ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone heard of O.S. Giken. it's a company in japan that once manufactured a dohc for the Z. are they still around? do they have a website in english? and most important, do they still have the DOHC for the z available?

the "how to modify" book lists the head at $12,000. but that book was written years ago and the price may have dropped. =) hopefully. any 411 is greatly appreciated.

by the way, for those that remember. my carburated single SU, direct draw, turbo L24 is finally finished being built. all i need is the MSD-6BTM and i can drop it right in. its a beautiful motor, clean, minimum number of hoses, all the hoses are braided the block is painted, etc. etc. and the best part is... you can drop it right in and pull it right out in a matter of minutes. this is great since im going to rebuild the L28 that's currently in it and turbo that too.

im trying to make it to run at the CMI race in july at the Sacramento race way. so if you're gonna be there look for the yellow and blue 71ZT. =) actually its primer and blue right now but should be done painting it by then =P

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think they O.S. Giken would make the heads anymore, especially since the L-series engine has been out of production for so long. There is not a major horsepower difference in a crossflow head over a non-crossflow head. Let me put my qualifier here before you guys bite my head (he he) off. FOR THE MONEY. Back then it was $10-12,000, it could be more, if they still made it. Let's see, if you had 250 hp and the crossflow head gave you a 5% increase, that would be 12.5 hp gain. That's a grand a horsepower!! Good luck finding one. Check out Watanabe to see if they know how to get in touch with them.

LOL,
later,
LuZZifer
'83 turbo project
'87 turbo

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
Luzzifer got it!

Check the archives, this has been posted before. JG Engine Dynamics in Alhambra CA had a few of these heads they bought when a shop closed. They dynoe'd them on their blocks, and they said the effort wasn't worth it. They may still have them. It's a cool add-on for looks, but the HP gain is minimal over a well-prepped L-Head. The Nissan LY crossflow head is a better bet, parts compatability is good with the L-Heads, butthey're RARE now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.