ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my z31 is taking a ****. When I get on it and when it hits about 5000rpms it sputters and slowly revs above that. I have replaced the fuel filter and I dont think the fuel pump is going out. Do you think it could be my fpr? Has anyone heard of the fpr getting stuck? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
657 Posts
maybe not stuck, but have a hole in the diaphram........ Pull the vac line off the top and see if there is any gas in there................

·
Registered
275 Posts
a recent poster had a similar problem, however his Z would die at wide open throttle. after tons of troubleshooting it ended up being his TPS.

just an fyi
TPS--your standard meter test on this will not always work,, the tps has two switches and one is for full throttle conditions, so you need to ensure both are functioning.

you need to begin testing things like:
TPS, FPR, Fuel Temp Sensor, AFM, air leaks,

oh, when did this begin happenning? was it right after you replaced something or no?

·
Registered
657 Posts
if its running it might squirt out. if its not running youll smell gas when you get your nose to it. just make sure your not smelling another leak...

Is your car an auto or manual........
I think ashleywat might just have it though.......... TPS is only like 30 bucks. get yourself a haynes manual so you can adjust it right... or you can just do this......youll need a dvom (multimeter)
detach the TPS pigtail (dont loose the clip).
loosen the screws on the TPS so it can be rotated
set up dvom for continuity test
place one lead on the top prong(on the TPS itself) and the other one on the next one down
rotate the tps until it beeps.....

If you rotate it all the way up and then slowly move it down when the dvom beeps is the place you want it.
tighten it up and make sure its still in the same place rotate the buterfly to check.

Im not exactly sure if this is the same on an auto trans but this is what you do for a manual trans.

·
Registered
880 Posts
there should NOT be gas in the vacuum line of the fpr. also take the vac line loose from the fuel pressure regulator.. fuel pressure should increase.. otherwise its faulty. i would check plugs.. they will normally give you a good idea of where the problem is coming from.. it sounds like you need a tune up to me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fuel temp sensor really doesnt seem to effect anything unplugged so you can rule that out but I would just cut the line coming off the fuel filter and put a gauge on it your fuel pump may be getting weak or fpr may be bad, you might also want to go around and tighten some stuff up and check all the connectors and stuff like that, problem will surface eventually.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did pull the plugs out and the electrodes had white tips. So I think its running lean. I dont have a fuel pressure guage to check it with. I have replaced the fuel filter too. I haven't looked at the tps yet, but i'll check into that later and i'll post if anything is different. Oh and no I didn't do anything to the car before this started happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1987 300zx has been sitting for a long time. When i started the car it sputtered and died. I have to keep stepping and releasing the gas pedal in order to keep it going. I have added some kind of additive and water removal, but no success. Could it be the fuel regulator? Also, I have already replace the fuel filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.